1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you strike over pensions again?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by StephenExley, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Now the NUT and NASUWT are refusing to sign up to the pensions heads of agreement, the prospect of more strikes looks to be back on, providing the DfE doesn't improve its offer (unlikely now the ATL, ASCL, NAHT and Voice have agreed to consult their members about it).
    Don't get me wrong, I think the way the Government has handled this has been appalling, but I've already gone on strike twice, I just can't afford to do it again. From my NUT and NASUWT colleagues I've spoken to, I can't see many teachers would be willing to strike again. I can't help but think the unions would be better offer accepting the better deal while they still can.
    Do you think teachers in your school would be willing to strike again?

2. Now the NUT and NASUWT are refusing to sign up to the pensions heads of agreement, the prospect of more strikes looks to be back on, providing the DfE doesn't improve its offer (unlikely now the ATL, ASCL, NAHT and Voice have agreed to consult their members about it).
    Don't get me wrong, I think the way the Government has handled this has been appalling, but I've already gone on strike twice, I just can't afford to do it again. From my NUT and NASUWT colleagues I've spoken to, I can't see many teachers would be willing to strike again. I can't help but think the unions would be better offer accepting the better deal while they still can.
    Do you think teachers in your school would be willing to strike again?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Having lived off around £1500 since the middle of August, I've got quite used to having no money. Now I have a job, I think I could probably afford to lose £60 for striking for a day.
    My only concern is that I might be the only one/one of a few that strikes in my school. As an NQT on a temp contract I find that a bit scary as I'd like to stay!!! I know the head can't officially get angry with me or tell me not to strike, but I'd be nervous if I was the only one. Has anyone else been in this situation - any advice?!
    If people really don't want to strike, they should bother to vote no in the ballot. Not just ignore it going on, then complain "hardly anyone voted for the action anyway" and not strike when it happens.