1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you still work if you didn't have to?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mumler, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Just putting it out there! I have been teaching 17 years and enjoy most moments and the feeling of making a difference. I feel alive when i am teaching and enjoy seeing the children change and develop. I am very lucky to have the chance to not work (circumstance, not i haven't won the lottery!) but can't decide what to do. I could get all house jobs done in the week and that would free up the weekend for family time. I do worry i would lose my identity and just wither away. How many times can you visit the gym?!! What am i to do?!

2. Just putting it out there! I have been teaching 17 years and enjoy most moments and the feeling of making a difference. I feel alive when i am teaching and enjoy seeing the children change and develop. I am very lucky to have the chance to not work (circumstance, not i haven't won the lottery!) but can't decide what to do. I could get all house jobs done in the week and that would free up the weekend for family time. I do worry i would lose my identity and just wither away. How many times can you visit the gym?!! What am i to do?!

3. I've been asked this question quite a few times by others. Although it may be lovely not to work, I think I would get bored and the novelty will soon wear off! I love teaching and I think its a job that makes me smile so much during the day. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of the termly holidays but I always look forward to going back in and I love seeing the kids! I considered applying to be a teaching assistant as I loved this role as there's not as much pressure on your shoulders. But being a teacher is just really rewarding. :)

4. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Yes.
    :eek:)

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

6. At this job? Yes.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

As someone who has spent 40 years with barely a day off and now doesn't work as you'd understand it, I'll say there is nothing like it.
    The work ethic drove me all those years, I can't say it did a lot for me other than stop me having time for things that actually matter. Now I have as much time as I need, and it's mostly filled, I have to ask myself what the f.uck was I ever on with that drive to work all the time? Whatever was it all about?
    We miss so much. If you are able to exit the rat race and survive, you won't miss it one iota. Plenty you can do to earn a living without actually working to a regime if you want to.

8. Three years ago, I most definitely would have worked if I didn't have to - even after twenty years in the job, I couldn't wait to get into the classroom every morning, was keen, enthusiastic and loved teaching. However, the last three years have caused me to change my opinion drastically. OK, so it all began to go wrong when the new head took over. Maybe it's a coincidence that in the last three years I've been assaulted four times (needing medical attention on three occasions), wrongly accused of assault by a child (and ended up on long term sick leave for stress as a result), made to feel like a stupid worthless has been who gets nothing right, and to top it all have suffered loss of management points with a subsequent paycut and demotion from the SLT. To make it even worse, i've not been able to get a job in another school, despite loads of applications, which makes me feel even more rubbish as a teacher. To say nothing of the tense atmosphere between the old staff and the newer members appointed by the head. Very uncomfortable. If I could manage financially, I'd quite happily walk away and never look back.

9. Being in the job for 17yrs, a few yrs ago, I would have said, 'if I could afford it, I would do it for nthing', but now I would defo say yes. I do love being with the kids and seeing them progress, but I hate the the way things are going, I don't mind change, but some changes are ridiculous, so much pressure etc.
    I could quite happily finish and live the 'good life', small holding, chickens, a few pigs, veg garden etc..bliss.
    Oh well, its nice to dream...

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The dream is only as far away as you want it to be. For the las 10 years of my working life there were moments I felt in control, but these slipped away from me as one after the other manager chose to try and tie me down in a field they knew nothing about.
    They call me from time to time for answers to their problems. I'm relaxed about it, they pay me. I let them sweat a bit before I answer though and come back a couple of hours later, even though I know exactly what he problem is.
    Previously, I was in the front line, expected to be on the ball all the time, and given grief at every opportunity. I don't care any longer. They can have the sweat. I'll have the money instead when they get the results they took for granted when I worked.

11. bnm

bnm

No, I wouldn't. I times I've thought I would, as I do love my job, but I also love other things in life. So, if I had the money, I would pick and choose how I spend all my time.....which would probably include some volunteering, but with the option of stopping whenever I wanted.

12. I must admit that when I was a stay at home mother, I did a lot of voluntary work. I would not have considered myself to be in possession of much of a work ethic but I missed having to do stuff.

13. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Hell no I wouldn't work (for money). But I'd definitely work as in volunteering. What you do is a vital part of what defines you. I can't imagine having a tidy and clean house, and just spending time keeping it tidy and clean. Actually, I can't imagine a tidy and clean house full stop. What else do you do? I suppose I could get fit. That would be a worthwhile goal. Then what?

14. No! I have an endless list of stuff I want to do, a small craft based business (or 3) I want to devote some more time to, chickens, veg and rats to look after and a dog to look forward to.
    I would probably be busier than I am now, but busy in more fulfilling, unstructured ways!

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ditto.
    Many posters comments have had a resounding 'oh, yes!' from me.

16. I'd like to do a degree (OK maybe start with an A-level) in Geology. That is one of my plans if i win the lottery.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The weeks where I've had no supply work have shown me that sitting on my **** doing nothing would eventually bore me. if I didn't have to go back to paid teaching work I wouldn't choose to. I'd opt for up to 3 days a week of voluntary work instead.

18. There was a time when I loved my job and really could have done it for nothing - I still do some D of E expedition assessment for my old place. As time passed though I came to love the job less and less and I seemed to be drowning in a sea of bureaucracy and targets while facing kids who became more difficult every year. In the end I was glad to retire and I haven't regretted it a bit. I couldn't go back to a daily grind any more.

To those who think that retirement is empty and boring - forget it. It's great.

19. I don't have to work. But I know that I would have to do something. I am terribly lazy and I would sit on the settee all day watching Jeremy Kyle and knitting and reading and end up massively obese, I know I would. I am starting to think, though, what I would do instead of teaching, jobwise, and until I come up with something I suppose I will continue.

20. Yes.
    Although not full time - I'd like some time to do other things I really want to do (and don't have the time or the money for!).
    But I am not suited to having nothing to do or no structure to my day.
    I would probably go along the lines MM has gone - hire out my services to my company on my conditions [​IMG] I know they would go along with it as I am the only one who can do the particular job I do - nobody else has ever been trained to do it and I trained myself as nobody had ever done it before, mwahahahahahahahhaa.