1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you ' snitch' on your neighbours?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 17, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

Priti Patel suggested recently that anyone who notices that their neighbours are meeting up in groups larger than 6 should inform the police. I'm sure the police loved that suggestion!
    Boris seems to think it's a better idea to talk to them instead.
    What would you do? I personally couldn't contact the police. They have far more pressing issues to deal with. As I avoid confrontation I would also be unlikely to speak to them about it. I think I would probably just avoid talking to them in future because my respect for them would have gone.
    Interested to hear other views.

ShowerGel likes this.
  2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

A group of 6 people in the garden whilst 2 children are upstairs in bed is breaking the rules, but a rather different issue from a group of 50 people getting together for a house party.

It surely would depend on what was happening.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Depends on what you mean by 'neighbours'.

If a household in the community about whose occupants I know nothing, possibly.

If those in the immediate neighbourhood who keep an eye on my house while I am away, possibly not.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes, for one particularly nasty neighbour. No, for everyone else. :eek:

5. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

No way would I bother the police with this.
    The police are pis sed off about Boris suggesting the rule of 6 is looked after by them as they don’t have the resources.

They have to use what they do have to deal with more pressing situations - knife crime for example

It surprises me that posters don’t realise the police cannot ‘waste’ precious person power on the rule of 6 being flouted.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Would you ' snitch' on your neighbours? :eek:

Only if I know they voted for Brexit, of course! ;)

(I'm joking...perhaps!:D)

ajrowing and littlejackhorner like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with you about a sense of proportion of the seriousness of the breach is needed. The police said in the initial stages when there was lockdown that some forces had been swamped with reports that, it seemed to police had more to do with people pursuing vendettas with neighbours than anyting else.

Your example made me think. Does it breach the rules? I'm not sure it does. If you have 2 adults and 2 young children in a house and the children go to bed before anyone else comes to the house do they count as part of the "gathering"? I doubt it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    agathamorse and ajrowing like this.
  9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

That example was in a Q&A on the telly somewhere, and it was decided that it does breach the rules. It wouldn't be enforceable, nobody would bother to chase it up though.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I wouldn't if it was an isolated incident. If it was recurring and a large number I might tell them I was unhappy about what was going on. ( I heard that advice on the radio ). I would point out that I would consider informing the police if they continued.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm no unpaid undercover officer, Priti can go patrolling herself gratis, not I.

13. Rott Weiler

Being on the telly is no more authoritative than "someone on TES forums said it" unless the TV person was a barrister or other legal professional. TV presenters otherwise know no more than you, me, or anyone else on TES!

Was it a lawyer advising that?

The definition of a "gathering" in the law to which the person limit applies is

"there is a gathering when two or more people are present together in the same place in order to engage in any form of social interaction with each other, or to undertake any other activity with each other;"
    So are two young children who are asleep upstairs when other adults arrive and still asleep when they leave and never see them in "social interaction" with the adults? I don't know for sure but it must be arguable that the children aren't in the gathering.

I agree it's pretty unlikely the police would take action in that situation but experience of neighbourhood Covid-19 vigilantes round my way suggests it won't stop some people trying to get their neighbours arrested!

14. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Would you report grandparents or others collecting children from school who are not in their household? An issue now in Birmingham, and from tonight, in the North East.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

They should all be arrested and put in prison immediately. It's the only language they understand.

If the government is right about the risks what's the difference between what they are doing and attempted murder?

sabrinakat and ajrowing like this.
  16. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

If Priti Patel was my neighbour, definitely.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What a complete mess.
    Somebody in charge who cannot tell people what to do, and lots of people who wont be told what to do if it involves being not very nice/inconvenience/conflict/effort.
    Meanwhile sh*T happens.

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

19. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

This isn’t Nazi germany

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No. True.
    But it is a pandemic and some stuff requires steering.
    I hate to tell you this, but steering stuff is not the same as Facism.