1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you... self-drive?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 1, 2015.

?

Would you trust a self-drive car?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Right now? I'd really struggle to 'trust' a car to drive itself.

But as this becomes more and more the norm... and it will... then eventually yeah I can see a day I trust this.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I like driving. I don't want one of these things.

racroesus, kibosh and lanokia like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes. My Golf will brake automatically when it comes within a preset distance of a vehicle in front. It also has self-park.

lanokia likes this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The top of the range model of my car has one of those parking thingies. I would be so concerned that I would probably grab the steering wheel and mess the whole thing up! Nothing whatsoever to do with it being more than I wanted to spend, you understand!

lanokia likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I also have a car that will brake, adjust speed etc. and I have more confidence in it than many drivers. I would still like to drive myself sometimes but a car that I could switch to auto to eat something or have a chat on the phone or answer an email - why not?

lanokia likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I too like driving middlemarch. But once these systems become common place... and insurance companies see the impact of them... I doubt human drivers will be financially viable for too long.

wanet likes this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Could it be the answer for people like me who have never learned to drive?

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I like driving but I don't love it. I prefer to be a passenger. I am too stingy to be an "early adopter". By the time I am prepared to buy a self drive car they will have been thoroughly tested and I will be happy to trust one.

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I hate driving and I hate cars. I only drive if it's absolutely necessary.

yodaami2 likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's brilliant for M-way jams. You don't even have to steer. It just stops and starts as the traffic moves. That's not driving. That's not fun.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I haven't been able to drive for the last 10 weeks. Hopefully I will be cleared to start on Tuesday. A self drive car would have given me a lot more freedom.

12. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

I put no because I could end up in a hedge!

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am a total control freak in a car. It is a standing joke amongst my friends that I always drive us anywhere we go because I don't allow anyone else to drive. the current car has cruise control. In 3 years I might have selected it - for a very brief time - on a mere handful of occasions.
    Now - as MrRemfan can not be trusted to take any more manual driving lessons (I downed tools at 50 - not as cruel as I sound bearing in mind 1. He did have a NY driving licence for an automatic till he let it lapse GRRRR 2. He does drive a scooter - as a L - on UK roads so drives on the left and 3 He has driven with me here for 11 years!) he has now embarked on automatic car lessons. Alas... he monumentally failed test no 1 as the examiner had to emergency brake as he was about to turn right into oncoming traffic at some lights :( Alas...... in a moment of madness I have ordered an automatic new car. This was me feeling mean as he drives the scooter to work in the winter and this is not ideal, so I thought I would get the automatic so he could drive it. After the failure of driving test no 1 and a few comments from his instructor I have felt it best to limit him to 3 attempts at the test and then a total giving up as multi task of driving is a bridge too far. Then I will be left with an automatic car I know I will hate driving :(:(:(

yodaami2 likes this.
  14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'd be more worried about him driving a scooter after that test performance.
    Have you been teaching him yourself? Sometimes a different instructor makes a difference.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Docklands Light Railway is self-drive, as are the Lille and Lausanne Metro systems, and doubtless others, although they run on rails. It's been technically possible to pilot aircraft remotely for some time, long before drones became trendy. The RAF were testing remotely-controlled jets in N Wales back in the 1970s - we used to watch them from Shell Island. Technology is not so much the issue as public acceptance of it.

As an afterthought, during the early days of the NASA space programme the engineers and designers wanted to just seal the astronauts in their capsules and give them no manouevering controls. The whole launch and re-entry sequence could be automated and the astronauts would be like lab rats, to be tested for the various effects of space flight. It was only when the astronauts objected and threatened to resign that flight controls were added. They were aviators, and insisted on having manual override.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    colpee likes this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm with middlemarch on this. Love driving, it's one of life's great pleasures. Wouldn't want to be driven everywhere. Although in 20 - 30 years time I might feel differently.

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Lol ..like it.... No I haven't been teaching him. 50+ lessons with one instructor in the manual. All I do is ask him road signs and road craft etc when I am driving. He has had a fair few with the automatic car too.
    The reason I ordered the automatic car was I do worry re the scooter but then..... I devised a route to work which is pretty safe and he follows..... I think I might have more cause to worry with him behind the wheel of a car!

yodaami2 likes this.
  18. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Only if those big lorries were definitely driven by safe and responsible individuals. I hate motorways: their wheels creeping into your lane. I watched a bloke eating a bowl of something on the M4 a few years back - shudder.

On reflection, no. I am a back seat driver, with my foot forever on an imaginary brake.

ScotSEN likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect [and I think another poster on here said this before me] that the big lorries will be the first to be completely automated. Insurance premiums.

wanet likes this.
  20. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

I wouldn't completely trust them. Although I would a flying one.