1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you say the more resorces you use in a lesson the better the lesson?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Lots of resources suggest lots of activities and the transition between them takes skill ( even for an experienced teacher ) so this is worth considering. Resources need to have a rationale and a purpose - beware the 80 / 20 rule - much effort expended for not much outcome ?

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

No, not necessarily. Quality not quantity.

freckle06 likes this.
  4. Teacher-in-Training42

if they are differentiated well do you think it would be worth it. I struggle with my questioning in the classroom

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have done a lot of training on Questioning - PM me with an e mail and I’ll send you some stuff. You can differentiate by dialogue ...

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Unfortunately the number of resources you use does not correlate the how 'good' the lesson is. The quality of a lesson is best judged by what the students have earned, They may learn effectively from one well-thought through resource, many resources or none. It depends on how you deploy your resource/s and how you use it/them to get over the points you are trying to make. Using lots of resources that the students cannot relate to what you are teaching is a waste of time.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

No. They're just a tool to help the students get to where they need to go in their learning. Think of them like buses. Depending on where they're coming from then the students may not need one, others might need one to help them get to there destination (and they may not all need the same bus), others may need to use a few (breaking the journey into different stages). You're job is to direct them.

*wonders if he can start getting SLT to start using the term learning bus routes instead of flight paths*

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Questioning = Who, What, How, Where, When, Why.
    Open questions. Closed questions. Questions directed to class. Questions directed to individuals - always use their name!
    Pose pause pounce. Pose, pause, pounce - bounce.
    Get student to justify the answer which they have given 'Why do you think that? Where is the evidence in the text to support your answer?'
    I was always criticized for my questioning on PGCE now I am always praised for it. I'm sure I wasn't all that bad as a student teacher.

9. Teacher-in-Training42

it wont let me pm x

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ok- no worries . Shall PM you

11. lrcathcart

lrcathcart New commenter

Hi could you send that to me too? I want to work on my questioning this year. Thanks

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ok - I have PM'd you