1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you report a crime if...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

you had to hand over your phone, and access to your photos, emails and social media accounts so that the police could trawl through them looking for evidence that you're lying?

coffeekid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes I would have when I was in that situation.

bevdex, EmanuelShadrack and nomad like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The alternative may be the trial collapsing later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42795058

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

That'll help get the rape/assault stats down then and save a bit of police time.

nick909, coffeekid and Orkrider2 like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The alternative would be the case not going ahead.

6. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

For too long the Crown Prosecution Service has been terribly biased in its drive to prosecute more rape cases, including recently recently instructing its staff to refer to rape complainants as ‘victims’ -well hang on doesn’t it require court to prove anyone was a victim of anything?

If some people had their way we would do away court cases for rape and just send people straight to jail on the word of one person.

Of course there should be a full investigation and those who don’t allow it are perverting the course of justice.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It happens to the accused, and they don't get a say in the matter, so I don't see why it shouldn't happen the other way round. There may well be relevant evidence. To put it another way, if you were wrongly accused of a crime, wouldn't you expect the police to gather all the relevant evidence?

8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So we'd all be happy for this to be the case if say we had our house burgled? Or if we were mugged?

grumpydogwoman and sparkleghirl like this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Yes, if i was a victim of a crime and it would ensure prosecution of the perpetrator

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If that is what is needed to ensure justice is served... yes... why wouldn't I want all the evidence presented to the police?

11. newposter

Or to put it another way, would we all be happy with a system where you go to jail if I say you burgled my house? Is my word enough?

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, but then my phone doesn't get a great deal of use, other than 'boring' info texts to family and some family photos.
    And if I'd been violated, I too would want any means poss. available to catch and prosecute the perpetrator.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They could rifle through my pics of books I saw in Waterstones and intend to buy on Amazon. And that pic I took of my wife and I in a garden centre with an exotic background to try and make us look more exciting than we really are... and read my chats with old friends about Marvel movies and how amazing Endgame is [it is]...

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The point of a criminal investigation is to prove whether or not the accused is guilty. Proof that the person who did the accusing is a different offence. Treating anyone* who reports a crime as having to prove their innocence of something they've not formally been accused of is heavy handed and probably counter-productive.

*and when I say 'anyone', it's going to disproportionately affect women, which is probably why so many are unconcerned about it.

yodaami2 and sparkleghirl like this.
  15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So anyone who alleges they have been the victim of a crime should be automatically treated as a potential suspect?

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Why don't we just suggest that all people should be forced to give mandatory DNA samples. That should make it much easier to catch those responsible for crimes.

Aquamarina1234 and lalala like this.
  17. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, but the problem is that we know that a woman's lifestyle can be, and often is, brought up in court and used against her, to demonstrate that rape wasn't rape.
    Women are already deterred from reporting these crimes by the idea of having their privates lives dissected in court, and this just seems to make it even less likely that rape will be reported.
    That's probably not the intention, but it's likely to be the outcome.

18. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Victims have a right to privacy. Rape is massively underreported as it is and victims are going to feel concerned that if they have ever posted or written anything positive or sexual about their attacker, it will be used to minimise or disprove the allegations.

19. newposter

I thought there would an accusation of sexism in there!

Considering the entire future of a man on the line and considering that there have more than just a few false accusations highlighted by communications records, I would say this was essential.

20. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Men too. How many men will have sexually explicit material on their phone which is then used to show they were "up for it" if raped.

Orkrider2 likes this.