1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you regard this as a job offer - advice please?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Sn0rkelMoorea, Jun 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sn0rkelMoorea

Sn0rkelMoorea New commenter

At the end of a second interview in an independent school, I was told I was the preferred candidate. The other candidate was informed that he was unsuccessful. Other people on the interview panel also understood this to be an offer, which was to be finalised a few days later because a key member of the interim Board wasn't available on the day.

Having just attended a meeting to 'finalise' things, I have now been told that the Board isn't really in a position to make up their minds because of the interim nature of the Board, and that they can't offer me a job at present.

Thoughts/advice please as to where I stand ... to say I'm upset and displeased is an understatement!!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah. To be finalised.

Hm. Well, it hasn't been finalised. Or rather it HAS. But not in the way you wanted. I'd say that doesn't constitute a job offer. Let's see what others have to say.

(Sorry.)

3. Sn0rkelMoorea

I get that, although the 'finalising' was to be the salary offer.
    What a very odd situation. I can only compare it to the fact that had I accepted the job (which I did) and then went back a week later and changed my mind, there'd be hell to pay!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, someone else may be along soon with a different interpretation and I absolutely take your point.

But:
    All these things make me nervous. I don't think you could hold them to it.

I'd say it was a provisional job offer. If such a thing exists. A conditional job offer. Job offers often do come with conditions e.g. satisfactory references. So I'd see it as a conditional job offer. But I could be wrong.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

BODY SWERVE...

Sorry for using capitals... It seems as either they don't have the money, or a relative of the owner just graduated and needs a job until they decide what they really want to do..

Either way, thank your lucky stars... Imagine what it would be like to work at that place..

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It is not a job offer. "Preferred candidate" means what it says on the tin, you've done better than the other candidate(s) but they haven't decided whether you've done well enough to be offered the job.

In a state school you'd expect the interview panel to have the authority to make the decision on behalf of the governing body or academy trust. In this independent school it seems they don't and their recommendation needs the agreement someone else who wasn't there, or some other reason connected to them being an "Interim Board". Only then can they make you a formal offer. Right now you don't have a job offer or any commitment to give you a job.
    #

agathamorse and GLsghost like this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not a job offer. They could perhaps have been more transparent but "preferred candidate" just means they liked you and would like to take further steps to employing you. It sometimes happens if an employer wants further clarification on a candidate - eg. check their qualifications or that they have the right to work in the UK.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Did they offer you a job - in the usual sense of that sentence?

All sounds a bit clownish again to be honest

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Were you invited back to 'finalise' a job offer or to discuss the possibility of being offered the post?
    From
    it sounds the former.
    My suspicion is that being a small independent, someone may have decided that they can't afford you. So disappointing for you though. If that were the case would have been better to at least say, "This is our best salary offer."
    Or of course the 'absent' member of the board may simply have had more clout and be unhappy a decision was made in their absence.
    Whatever. Here's some consolation chocolate to cheer you up.
    [​IMG]

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

They sound really ineffectual as a board, what was the point of wasting so many people's time?

Does the owner consider the school their fiefdom?

Close call- consider it fortitous, as though managed to avoid stepping in a large cow pat.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In small private schools the answer to that question usually yes!

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Sn0rkelMoorea

Thank you to everyone who has replied - and a particular thank you for the chocolate. Now instead of worrying about the job offer, I need to worry about going on a diet:)

Seriously, though, most people who were in that room thought I had just been offered a job and I was informed in writing that at the meeting today the formal offer would be made. Incidentally, the job was for a Headship.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Headship? o_O That puts an even worse perspective on it. Mind you it you had been offred it imagine what it would be like working with that team as governors/ overseers etc.;)

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It's not an offer. Sorry.

An offer has to be capable of being accepted to be an offer - so must contain representations (that then become terms) capable of being agreed to.

wanet likes this.
  15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Headship? (I've just spotted that bit...)

RUN!!!!! You've had a narrow escape...

16. Sn0rkelMoorea

Yes, I think perhaps I have. It's certainly been a steep learning experience, so the next time someone tells me I'm the preferred candidate I'll be sure to ask for clarification as to exactly what that means to them. In the meantime, onwards and upwards ...
    Thank you to everyone who commented and gave feedback.