1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you recruit a teacher with mental health issues?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by felicity5183, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Imp72

Imp72 New commenter

I am a HT with an anxiety disorder, currently on medication and also coping day to day with a rare blood disorder. Each case is totally different and my condition in no way affects my role or the children/adults around me. It makes me more sympathetic and understanding than I would otherwise be. Nobody knows about it at all at work but i have been through occ health.In fact I find that work is very much my saviour and keeps my mind focussed.

2. catbefriender

catbefriender New commenter

Imp72, I salute you!

I know a brilliant DH who had all the above and was a brilliant Science and Maths teacher and she said much of the same thing, i.e. teaching helped her focus, take her mind off things.

The most important thing to recognise is that everyone is an individual and knowing a person's disability in no way, shape or form tells you anything about how they may or may not be able to cope. It's all about how the person takes care of themselves.