1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you recommed teaching to a graduate?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by catymars, Apr 12, 2017.

1. catymars

catymars New commenter

I have seen many extremes written about online, some teachers saying that they found it such a rewarding profession, and others saying that they felt unappreciated. Would you agree with either of these?

vvamadeva likes this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I can agree with both and often simultaneously. Perhaps it's just self-justifying on my part, but a lot of posters here appear to like the teaching but hate the rubbish that makes it a sickener.

I do keep trying to get away as well.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a non-graduate.
    ;)

mathsmutt, sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I would. I switched from a high pressured career to teaching and have been much happier ever since.

I have taught various age-ranges and have found working with young people (and other teachers) far more rewarding than my previous profession.

5. Informant

Informant New commenter

Maybe. Wise words from Pomz who comments with the voice of experience after a life outside the classroom. I might advise caution to an inexperienced young new graduate who was hoping to start a lifelong career in teaching. Not really saying that it's educational incest without other experience, but they should know the drop out rate and realistic career prospects. TV adverts say £65K for classroom teachers, but many leaders hesitate to let their staff progress to UPS3. It can be hugely rewarding and there are some sparkling personalities in staffrooms, but find a representative sample to see the demands by visiting schools and then judge for yourself.

willcott likes this.
  6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Honestly? No, it's too much of a gamble in terms of getting through training and finding a good school. I do admit that I've been 'burnt' in the sense of having WRS and I'm working supply until I can get out. But I still do enjoy teaching when I've got a good group of kids in front of me. The problem isn't really the being with kids and teaching them part. It's all the **** that comes with the job and the grinding nature of dealing with disruptive behaviour.

1 person likes this.
  7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Teaching is extremely rewarding, doing so in many schools is not. I would recommend it only with heavy provisos.

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I love my job about 70% of the time. But I am experienced, work no more than 45 hours a week, rarely on weekends and don't go in during holidays. But I am aiming to leave within the next 5 years, as I still find the daily pressure too much.

I currently have a Schools Direct student and see how much work he does; he's nearly killing himself with it all, had barely an evening to himself and is already talking about how he's not sure if he's made the right decision by training.

Think very carefully about it, talk to lots of current teachers, get some experience in a school.

Tinycat1234 and blueskydreaming like this.
  10. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I think a lot of it comes down to personality. You need to be very resilient, carry on and be confident in your abilities even when scrutinised and constantly monitored. Some people love being up front and in control of a classroom, some people find it stressful. It's a strange job, in that you only really know if you like doing it, once you're in the role, and probably committed to a course and student finance. Like others have said, I would get some experience in schools, and don't consider it a lifelong career. Even in watching a classroom in action, you won't see all the work teachers do at home, the all day Sunday prepping for the week ahead. Cover supervisory work can be a good way to experience the practicalities of actually doing it.

mathsmutt and Tinycat1234 like this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with jennylambchop in that a lot of it involves personality. Actually the skills involved in teaching course content, writing lesson plans, and marking, can be learnt fairly easily. It is the ability to go into a classroom day after day and retain your enthusiasm in the mist of working with some very difficult students who do not wish to be in your lessons.

Teaching is like being in a war zone.

40% of newly qualified teachers leave within 5 years of qualifying.

mathsmutt, Moony and jennylambchop like this.
  12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

OP last seen on day of posting ...

rosievoice likes this.
  13. willcott

willcott New commenter

It never ceases to intrigue and confuse me how often people (apparently seriously) post and then never return... Bizarre.

14. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Short answer: No.

install likes this.
  15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yep, I had a couple of lessons today that felt like that!

pepper5 likes this.
  16. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

They probably read the replies and though hell no, I'm getting out of here.

pepper5, cb324 and Moony like this.
  17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If you enjoy working 50+ hours a week and delight in disruption, then please apply to be a teacher.

18. install

install Star commenter

If you want no bonus pay, no Union recognition in some places, no Overtime pay, no pay scale mobility in places, few pay rises...along with long term opportunity to be one of the Working Poor - then teaching is the job.

schoolsout4summer and dunnocks like this.
  19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

:rolleyes:

pepper5 and install like this.
  20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No I would not recommend it

pepper5 and install like this.