1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you rather...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LondonCanary, Sep 21, 2020.

?

Would you rather live in

Poll closed Sep 24, 2020.
  1. a) A democracy where the elected governments are opposed to your beliefs and values

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. b) A dictatorship in line with your beliefs and values

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Swing on a star?

littlejackhorner likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

... Swindon? No

a.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Scotland hasn't voted for a Conservative Westminster government for 60 years, but for 36 of those years we've had to put up with a Tory government . And of course, there's Brexit.
    So, I would like a democratic government in an independent Scotland. If in the future it's under a Scottish Labour, Scottish Greens or SNP leadership, I'll be fine with that. Not enough people vote Tory here to bother including that as a potential leading party. And as for the Lib Dems - I don't even know what they stand for any more.

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Scotland would become effectively a one party state if it became independent for a while. Some people will still feel disenfranchised.

6. LondonCanary

The Scottish government has responsibilities for the economy, education, health, justice, rural affairs, housing, environment, equal opportunities, consumer advocacy and advice, transport and taxation. What are the important additional powers that independence would bring?

alex_teccy and coffeekid like this.
  7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd rather have proportional representation, and coalition governments which exclude the extremes of Left & Right.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

All the powers a sovereign nation would have - among others, foreign policy, defence, trade, taxation, immigration, energy - and our own seat at the European table.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Except that PR would pretty much guarantee governments supported by "extremist" parties.

Example: 2015 GE... 12% to UKIP. So 12% of seats in Parliament... UKIP holding roughly 75 seats. So a Tory/UKIP coalition government. We'd still have had Brexit.

Sally006 likes this.
  10. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

I haven’t voted as neither scenario are acceptable due to what I suspect you consider “democracy” to be. I suspect you have put this forward due to all the complaints being hurled at our inept government that you believe was democratically elected. For me, we don’t have true democracy with a first past the post system. Also, we have gross manipulation of voters with false information and false promises. Of course we would hope people would see behind that spin but as Brexit is proving, they don’t.

The benevolent dictator option has been around for a while. It initially appeals but only works with a guarantee that the kind dictator stays in power and doesn’t have a change of heart. The inability to depose a dictator that has had a change of heart, of course looses its appeal. To me this is not an acceptable nor a realistic choice.

A true fair voting system and transparency and honesty is the system I would like. Not going to happen though, sadly.

11. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

A non choice as far as I am concerned, hinging on the practical definition of democracy as we use it in this country. We would need proportional representation and compulsory voting to make it work.

12. LondonCanary

It's a philosophical question that could be posed anywhere in the world. It has nothing to do with my view of the world or what you suspect they might be.
    Definitions of the terms used are widely available.

13. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

UKIP/ BNP/ similar are currently getting diddly squat in elections... where do you think their supporters are putting their Xs?

BTW- Yes I would like to see UKIP and others getting seats based on their support

14. LondonCanary

No. The question works in any country.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

Then you would prefer a democracy out of line with your views than a dictatorship in line with them.

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Democracy with proportional representation.

17. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

A proper democracy. Can’t see it happening.

A philosophical question indeed - been around for a while the democracy v benevolent dictatorship. However, I’m curious as to why you choose now to post it. Based on your numerous posts championing the current “democratically” elected government and “democratic” will of the (slim majority) of pro Brexit voters, please excuse my suspicions at to why you open up this debate now.

This Government have made a complete mess of everything but sadly we are stuck with them for 4 years. Maybe a better thread might be for the voters of this shambles to have a time of introspection into what they have lumbered the country with.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I clearly stated I was addressing the 2015 election.

19. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Not having the responsibility of a nuclear deterrent but enjoy the protection of one.

20. LondonCanary

I'm curious to see how it turns out with this demographic. It's not an original question.
    Not entirely unexpectedly the thread has already descended into nitpicking and tribalism.
    Quote me.