1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you rather have... (covid edition)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by myothername, May 23, 2020.

1. myothername

myothername New commenter

As of now, which would you prefer:

1. Very low salary, but a school in a WE country that is already making plans to bring students back in coming weeks. No housing stipend. Seems very secure and country is handling situation well.

2. Great package, but a school in an EE country that is still locked down. Was given detailed plans admin has made for new hires in case the school has to open online in autumn. Salary is more than double that of choice #1, even if not considering the additional perks included in package, like housing and annual flights.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Why would you work for a very low salary?

3. myothername

Because there is a global pandemic and I am wondering if it is better to take a low salary that is guaranteed than to sign on for a great salary in a country I might not be able to enter in August.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If there are second waves you might not be able to enter western Europe in August either. My bet would be that airport rules and Quarantine measures will be in place internationally by then though.

Western Europe has been hit much harder than most of Eastern Europe. I would be wondering how many new students have signed up for the WE school for September.

I'd take the Eastern Europe job any day of the week.

Which Western Europe country is it? I might be able to help further.

5. BertorErnie

BertorErnie New commenter

It depends a bit on your individual life situation- do you have a family? Are you in debt? Can you afford to take a bit more of a risk? All things considered, I'd probably roll the dice and go for the Eastern Europe job.

6. myothername

I'll PM you...

7. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 New commenter

Depends on the EE country

8. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Depends on the country, the school, the job, your circumstances, etc etc but with out more info I would generally agree with T0nyGt

9. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Probably 2, and be looking to get there ahead of time in case I had to do 2 weeks quarantine. Might also explore possiblility of driving there if flights aren't happening.

10. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Would completely depend on the school and country. If you PM me I'll happily give my two (euro) cents.

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Do the EE school's plans include what will happen to new hires if they unable to enter the country in August? If so - including the scenario that the school is open but borders are closed - I would go for the EE position. It sounds like they are prepared and thinking ahead, which is all they can do at this point. Of course no-one can promise anything, but I would feel as confident as possible right now that the job would be there for me in August, whatever the Covid-19 situation.