1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you pay to get your portrait painted?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Just wondering.

2. Just wondering.

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Have done several times. Much better than chavistic photographs.

4. No, but only because I enjoy painting family portraits as a hobby. If not I'd love to.

5. Yes, yes Richie. We know you have money. And photos can be gorgeous, so don't be silly. Really I was wondering if financially 'normal' people would pay, but seeing as I didn't specify that, never mind. Anyone else?

6. It's not something I've ever thought about doing but I suppose I would rather have a painted portrait than a photographic portrait - and if I was going to pay for a photo then I'd certainly pay for a painting, if you see what I mean! I think I've always just assumed that to commission a painting would be terribly expensive. (And I'm tight).

7. Thanks, Dinx.

8. Does that make sense, CK? I know some of these family photo portrait sittings can cost a couple of hundred quid but I think I'd assumed that a real (painted) portrait would be a minimum of £500 and probably much, much more. I have no idea why I think that though.

9. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

It depends on a number of things. One the quality of the artist, two the number of sittings required I would suggest a minimum of four probably nearer eight. Three if the artist lives abroad travel costs.

10. I suppose it depends on who is painting the portrait - there's no set price. And also, it'd depend on the size...I think painting an entire family would be more expensive though, than a single portrait.

11. A good thing to do if you want to commission a portrait (or any painting) is to go to art school degree shows and see what recent graduates have to offer. You'd get a bargain portrait that way. :)

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've seen pictures of your work, coffeekid, and I'd love to have a portrait painted by you if I had the money. I think you'd come up with something really interesting that would appeal much more to me than a photograph.
    Mind you, I'd love to own any of your pieces I've seen so far!

13. Too kind, deary.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nope. That's not my style. I really like what I've seen and wouldn't say so otherwise. Your style really appeals to me.

15. Ha ha, I know!

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would be more likely to pay for a portrait of my dogs than of me, or my husband.

17. Aye, pet portraits are popular. I've seen some very good ones, and some tragic ones. Actually, Manashee is a good pet portraitist - hope she doesn't mind me saying that...

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My son is quite a talented painter - he has done a couple of dog portraits for my mum but his real talent lies in stills from films. He did one for me of Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in a still from The Philadelphia Story but my daughter stole it from me! He has also painted a portrait from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of one of the characters (bloke with gold tooth) with a rope round his neck (not seen the film) and one of Dave Grohl...all very good.
    I used to draw portraits from photographs and was quite good at getting an acceptable likeness but it's been decades since I lifted a pencil in anger. I was never any good at painting but when I was off work some years ago I bought acrylics as I'd never used them. I messed around a bit with them but then gave them to my son and he put them to better use than I ever had.

19. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Paintings of the children would be very sweet and something different. Certainly something I'd cherish.
    Actually on second thoughts, I'd prefer sketches/drawings of them.
    I'd prefer a photograph however, if we're talking about the whole family. I'd feel a bit @rsey having myself painted.
    Och, I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to art. This is just my initial feeling on the matter. By the sounds of it CK, you're very talented and I'm sure you'd do any family proud!
    Good luck if you're thinking of getting into this as a new venture. I know there are many family photographers here in Edinburgh, but I've never seen anyone advertising painted portraits.

20. I probably wouldn't pay to have one done of myself, but I'd have one done of myself and OH. My sister is a Scottish artist and painted a portrait of me once... I don't hang it up though, as it's rather large!