1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you marry a man who...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The same effect on his fiancee or on p* ssing yapyap off? [​IMG]

2. lol
    The same effect on is fiance. I wouldn't dream of p*ssing Yapyap off. She's only looking out for her sister.

3. Point is, not the cost - but that you got the ring you wanted. He could have used my Mum's old engagment ring and little 'un would have loved, but they clearly haven't communicated enough for him to know this!
    Ironically, she would have loved \a bottle of Lambrini, it's the only grape based alcoholic drink she can stomach!

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Lambrini is made from pears ...

5. Are you thinking of Lambrusco, yap yap.....you want to see Harshy after 6 pints of Lambrusco. :¬))

6. Shows what I know! It's not my tipple I'm afraid. In that case, I amend - she can't stomach wine or any of it's variants and enjoys Lambrini as an alternative.

7. She likes both! I don't mind' brusco when necessary, but can't stand 'brini, maybe this is why.......

8. ooh, so she can drink Lambrusco. Bloody Nora!

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I doubt anyone would want to see that.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, a nice silver ring or second hand one would be far preferable.
    As regards that ring, well I think it is rather touching William gave it to Kate. It's not a ring I'd choose as I'm not over keen on sapphires, but I wouldn't say no if it popped out of a Christmas cracker!
    My own engagement ring is rather unusual. It is a princess cut natural yellow diamond with a rhombus cut white diamond each side. Very pretty and very unusual.

11. Why do people bother getting engaged when they are older ?

12. Why is age an issue?

13. Why not? A bit of fuss and romance when you're in love go down well at any age (if you're that type of person, I mean). I think it's more dependent on attitude than on age.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Like you GLM, I don't think it is an age issue at all.
    People get engaged because they are going to get married! Always has been the case and always will be. Marriage is not an age issue, nor is engagement.

15. If anything, getting engaged and married when you're older (and wiser) probably means you're less likely to rush into things and make daft mistakes.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Someone I know is "engaged". I asked when they were getting married, and she replied, "Oh, we're not getting married, we're just engaged. I don't like him that much!"

And here was me thinking engagement was a statement of intention to marry!

17. My brother in law to be proposed to my sister with a haribo ring. I kid you not. Does thJSYxat mean that he doesn't have respect and admiration for her? I don't think so.
    At the time they were really really cash strapped, but it really was the thought that counted, he wanted a token ring so that he could do the proper down on one knee malarkly with a ring.
    Age is also irrelevant. This thread got a lot of traffic for a very trivial starting point.
    JSY x

18. I don't think anyone intends for a Haribo ring to be taken seriously as a piece of jewellery - this Argos ring clearly was.
    There's a world of difference between a sweet intent (geddit!?) and something that seems unsuited to the person - a person who you're meant to know and understand.

19. But remember GLM, they've only known each other two months. Knowledge and understanding usually takes longer than that in a relationship.

20. Which I think might be the real crux of the issue...