1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you marry a man who...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Apr 20, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sorry no. It's cheap and nasty.
    I'd rather have small and real over big and fake.....assuming big and real is out of the question (unless your fiance is William Wales!)

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Well she got a second hand one!

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ah, sisters and their disastrous relaionships, eh? Doesn't get any easier. No advice to you on that score...except to keep your mouth shut for now...and bide your time!!
    fwiw I have no engagement ring (well, I have a ring my m-i-l gave MrG to give to me, which he did, in an embarrassed fashion, it has never fitted and the setting is too big to go with my wedding ring), partly because I think I told him to marry me....! And as far as them getting it wrong with gifts - he nearly always does, so now I give very specific instructions...! But then, I love him to bits, and wouldn't have him any other way, whether he feels the same way about gift giving as I do or not. I don't like putting conditions on love. You either love your man (woman) as he (she) is, or you don't.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

it was a good call.

5. lurk_much

Another good post.
    This thread had me wondering about popping down to argos but I now realise it isn't necessary.
    Thankyou Vic

6. lurk_much

how about a flibbertygibbet?
    I think this relationship may have legs.
    Neither party seems to be laying on unreasonable expectations.

7. lurk_much

Arranged marriages mostly work.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I started to worry for a moment, then read the bit about the wedding ring... my son gave his fiancee my great grandmother's ring on their engagement which I had passed on to him for the occasion. He did, however, get it cleaned and fitted for her. Fortunately she was delighted to be given a family heirloom; just as I am delighted to see it going to such a lovely young woman.

9. lurk_much

Just offered to marry the OH, she fell in love with that argos ring and we are now arguing about the effin date.

grr
    It now transpires that she was only joking, the ring is okay but 28 years together has warned her orff making a commitment.

10. I thinks its a lovely ring.

11. I think I understand yapyap's concern. It is the worry over whether your sister is rushing into a relationship commitment too soon (2 months is very short time imo) and then it all going belly up. It can be very hard to be the person who has to stand by, express concerns diplomatically when asked for opinion and yet still be there when it does fall to pieces. However, this is what we do for family and people we love and care for, but only if we are able. If you feel you can't if it happens this time then take a step back and don't berate yourself over it.

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I don't think it's a family heirloom (yet) or particularly valuable. I wore it before we were married, but it is too big for me (I think if OH had invested any significance into it as an enagagement ring we would have had it made smaller, but he doesn't really attach any significance to it (I think!), so we didn't). We DID, however, attach huge significance to our wedding rings (which I bought), and, even though he dislikes rings personally, he wears his wedding ring or he'd have, at the very least, a thick ear!

13. Totally agree.
    For 40 quid you could buy something gorgeous second-hand, or something in silver and amber.
    (But then I do have strange tastes. I dislike <u>that</u> ring. You know the one!)

14. Ostentatious rings - real or fake - are horrible. Parisian women would not approve but then they value style over fashion.

15. ?

16. The recent royal one, I suspect.

17. Maybe he knew he wasn't going to be getting any until he proposed, and Argos was open late when he was on the way round?

18. I think the point about neither side having unreasonable expectations is a good one! I told my OH what ring I wanted, from eBay, for not much more than that Argos one. It could be fake for all I know but I don't care! My proposal consisted of an email from him saying I had to book the day off to go and collect the ring - an appointment which I then arranged. Do I think any of this has a bearing on how much we love each other, or what kind of marriage we'll have? Does it 'eck. We've spent the time and effort designing our own wedding rings instead - much more significant (although again, a scrap of metal from Elizabeth Duke would have done just fine for us both).

19. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You mad romantic fool, you! [​IMG]

20. He should have got a bottle of Lambrini for &pound;2.99. It would have had the same effect.