1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you marry a man who...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Apr 20, 2011.

1. She's your sister, you are not her keeper.
    The ring itself is not that bad.
    If your sister really doesn't like it though she needs to speak up soon cos unless I'm looking at the wrong one it's a set of two so she's got a matching wedding ring.

2. nah she's got both as her engagement ring. Well that makes sense of it all then guys, I just shan't concern myself with her. Am sure I've enough to worry about anyway!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm quite glad that, increasingly, I don't care about this sort of stuff.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Didn't (perhaps) make an effort is not the same as won't make an effort for you
    so why make chores out of the things that don't need to be chores?
    A poor choice of a "gift" is not, nor ever should be, a relationship-breaker
    Did she tell you she hates it as much as you do?

5. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I may be a snob, but i would be a tad offended by the choice of ring.
    At least I am being honest :/

6. Perhaps he thinks that getting engaged after such a short time is a risk so he went for a low cost option to minimise that risk

Perhaps, since he earns much more than her, he is checking to see if she is a gold-digger

Perhaps he sees an engagement ring as a symbol of betrothal and understands that as a symbol it is not worth spending a lot of money on

Perhaps she would hate the ring if it were not from a man she loves ... maybe she appreciates it as a symbol rather than jewellery

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Mrs HBF has never had an engagement ring. Should she dump me now?

8. ~Well I have to say Doomzebra - if someone were asking me to spend my entire life with them, and they don't think that warrants a bit of thought, I don't think they'd be the fella for me! In my experience, doesn't is exactly the same as won't, or more accurately 'will when it suits'. Doing something to make someone you love extremely happy shouldn't be a chore, if you feel it is, then again, its time to question your judgement. Of course she hasn't told me! She loves him too much for that! And that is good and right of her. What is disturbing is that she isn't questioning it herself!
    Ah Doglover! So it's not just me!

9. For all you know he could be doing wonderful thoughful things for her every week. Things that don't involve material possessions.

10. MMM -point is though, it's a **** symbol. What it says is - 'I don't know you well enough to attempt to make a considered decision about the symbol I am giving you to bind us for life' (and your birthday pressie!)
    Did she want one Harsh?

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I've never asked

12. It's her birthday tonight and he is playing football.

13. Well, lets hope she might have mentioned if she did!

14. And?

15. He's going to miss Midsomer Murders.

16. In your opinion

In your opinion

You have no idea what went through his head when he chose it

17. Me too. I would rather not have a ring if the only offering would turn my finger green. I think if money was tight then there are other ways to symbolise love and the promise of marriage.
    I have a lovely engagement ring that I don't wear because my then fiance (now husband) and I went through a bad patch. Any promise or intention made with the ring was gone when he started acting like a complete ****. I vowed never to wear it again and haven't. Thankfully he did a lot of growing up and I grew a back bone.

18. It might have been nice, if on the day he asked her to marry him, and her twenty-fifth birthday, he hadn't put sitting on a subs bench in front of being with her. Not every week, but he could have missed one session. Not necessarily doing nice, non-material things...

19. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

What a fatuous statement
    Asking her to be his wife should have been what made her happy, the ring is merely a symbol of that - if you think differently then I have a shallow materialistic sign for you
    Pretty much sums up the whole argument.

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Call me psychic (I have a sixth sense about these things), but I get the feeling you disapprove of your sibling's choice of potential life partner, yapyap... [​IMG]