1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you marry a man who...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Apr 20, 2011.

1. proposed with this:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2140858/Trail/searchtext%3E2+CARAT+LOOK+PLATINUM.htm
    ?

2. I was expecting something really hideous and inappropriate. The ring's not to my taste, but am I missing a point ..?

3. Depends on why they bought it!
    If the sentiment was there and it was down to lack of cash/ not seeing the point in an expensive ring that I would prob lose/ understanding that I hate rings and it's a token gesture, yes. If they're too cheap to buy a nice one/ think it's really my taste - no!
    Sam_Bow

4. I think if the reason was down to lack of cash but the sentiment was there then it wouldn't stop me marrying that person. However, I think some talks might be needed to make sure this was the reason, if I didn't already know.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Is it the price or the style at which you have chosen to sneer?

6. If we were in love, and that was all that he could afford and wanted to give a token gesture then yes. Not all of us are shallow and materialistic.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

better than a blow up doll with your face on it.........

8. I do not understand the question

tbh I would not have married a man that proposed with any ring as that is not my style ... I liked the fact that my proposal was sans ring

If this actually a question about the price of the ring ... I do not think the cost of the ring is in anyway relevant to wether I would marry someone

9. Both style and price. The ring is for a fine boned young lady who customarily wears delicate jewelery, and they take home about £3K a month between them - the lions share of which he earns. Feels disrespectful to me!

10. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Disrespectful eh?

11. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

No, this ring is for people who think around £40 is a reasonable price for a ring and like that style of jewellery.

12. Absolutely. Wrong ring = wrong man.Anyone proposing to marry you should have the decency to know/find out what you would like and make a real effort to get that right. Whether it's my hard - earned but very tiny diamond (set by an independent jeweler), the biggest piece of bling you can find, or the agreement to spend the potential cash for these things on honeymoon/house/baby. When you have a reasonable amount of disposable cash, a ring that is both tasteless and cheap is an insult! The only possible excuses for this monstrosity are a)being Pat Butcher, b)being on min wage or lower.

13. Maybe he genuinely thought she'd like it?

14. Then he doesn't know her well enough to marry her. And she is a muppet for agreeing to it!

15. Well, there's clearly more to this story than bad taste in jewellery...

16. It's cheap.
    There is time to still run.

17. Is this thread actually serious?

18. 'Course there is Coffee - It is of course my nutjob of a little sister again, and I'm despairing of her sense of self preservation, or her desire to make the right choices for herself! If he doesn't know you well enough to get the ring right, or at least try a bit harder, then you don't need to marry him just yet. You certainly shouldn't accept gleefully and pretend to love it! What sort of precedent does that set?!

19. Why wouldn't it be PFF? We all have standards - you need to maintain your highlights every six weeks, I would expect real respect and adoration from a man I was going to marry.

20. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Either way this is not someone asking to marry you, so why do you want to spoil it for them? Presumably they are over 18 and mature enough to deal with this themselves. Maybe they both agreed spending £40 on a ring then left them a few thousand to go on holiday/to enjoy themselves - maybe they just don't feel the need to impress outsiders like yourself?