1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see Sunday trading laws relaxed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35623976

"Rules on Sunday opening hours for shops in England and Wales are out of date and need to be relaxed, a group of 200 MPs and council leaders has said.

In a letter to the Sunday Telegraph, they wrote that increasing spending on Sundays would boost job prospects and help shops compete with online firms
    ."

Personally, I'd be in favour of a return to having no trading at all on Sundays. I know this will never happen, but I remember Sundays as once being a unique day of the week, set aside for leisure. I know it should be possible to organise my life in such a way that I never have to shop on Sundays, but regrettably it isn't that easy, now people are accustomed to the seven day trading week.

Why are these MPs and council leaders thinking only in terms of the interests of business? Shouldn't they be thinking about the fabric of society as well? Or do they imagine shopping to be a leisure activity?

delnon and JL48 like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Having visited 4 (quite different) countries on our last holiday, none of them seemed to have any restrictions on Sunday trading, and none of them seemed any the worse for that.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Many/most people like being able to shop in Sunday if they wish. It's not a business conspiracy.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While I can see the attraction of a day with no shopping I can also see that more people would just shop online so taking business from high streets... and Sunday shopping is convenient for those of us out at work all week.

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I see no reason to prevent trading on a Sunday
    I do however see a reason to retain enhanced wages for all weekend workers

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If we can shop on Sunday, someone is working on a Sunday. Is that fair?

Dragonlady30 and delnon like this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Problem is which shops do you close. I have noticed that Sunday is a big day for family shopping, but as a cafe society grows there seems to be more using Sunday morning to sit and stare as we seem to go continental. Myself i would things staying as they are.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I wouldn't. You don't have to shop on Sunday if you don't want to so why stop other people having the opportunity? I suppose next you'll be shutting the shops and the cinemas and everywhere on Good Friday.

anotherauntsally and Middlemarch like this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

People drive buses and trains on Sundays and do all manner of other things. Should the world stop because it's Sunday? Surely the people who work on Sunday get days off during the week?

anotherauntsally and Middlemarch like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I assume power plant people work on a Sunday... keeping my lights on and laptop chugging...

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'd be interested to know the political make-up of the 200 MPs.

delnon likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

There aren't 200 MPs
    But it is led by Grant Shapps ;)

13. Duke of York

That must be really great for trying to organise family and social get togethers. If you think that Sundays should be a normal working day for shop workers, then why shouldn't it be a normal working day for everyone? Why not keep schools open all week?

14. Didactylos4

It is for a vast number of people Duke and some of them provide essential services (or just work in roles where things have to be kept functioning over the weekend)

15. Duke of York

It's always been understood that jobs in essential services need to involve weekend work. Traditionally, when Sunday was regarded as a special day, those who had to work on Sunday received double pay for it.

Shopping on Sundays isn't essential and shop workers' pay isn't on a par with those in the essential services, so I see no good reason that shop workers shouldn't be able to take part in social events like the rest of us.

If online shopping is taking trade away from the shops, it's happening because people prefer to shop that way. Keeping shops open longer isn't going to alter the trend. A better and fairer solution would be to restrict the hours that online trading can be conducted to keep it in line with the hours that shops are allowed to be open.

16. Didactylos4

That cannot be done as it would be impossible to enforce

Or normal pay and a day in lieu (TOIL). It should still be that way

17. FrankWolley

If one member of the family works on Saturdays, and another Mon-Fri, then only Sunday is left..

FWIW Sundays in my childhood (1960s) were uniformly bleak, boring and awful days. Thank goodness it's not the same today.

InkyP and Lascarina like this.
  18. FrankWolley

Hahahaha...

You are joking? Just how would that work with the World Wide Web (the clue is in the name!)?

With this and your thread about the state determining food prices you seem to have lost the plot. Sure you wouldn't be happier off in North Korea, say?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can I assume you also think people shouldn't be able to purchase off Amazon* at say 11pm? Or 4am?

*other websites that pay more tax are available.

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What social events do you attend that only happen on a Sunday?

I'm always slightly surprised that England still has these restrictions.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.