1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you like to be a forum host and help the TES Community?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce forum hosts and community champions to the Tes Community to offer support to members and help the Moderation Team to keep the forum running smoothly.

I know that a lot of members in this Community are already ‘super-users’, who regularly post in the forums and provide: advice, help and support; empathy; useful links and information; and welcome new members to the site. They are the cornerstone of the Tes Community and demonstrate the essence of what this forum is all about.

In recognition of all the sterling work these members do and their steadfast commitment to the site, I would like to ask them for their help by becoming part of a new volunteer support team.

What does a forum host do?

They will:

• Welcome and help newbies find their way around by signposting relevant forums and threads
    • Delete spam/adverts and report spam posters to the Moderation Team
    • Report inappropriate content and troublesome posters to the Moderation Team
    • Troubleshoot – prevent inflammatory situations from escalating by intervening in misunderstandings, where possible, or locking threads if no member of the Moderation Team is available
    • Report technical issues and signpost members to the relevant threads to report their technical problems

What does a community champion do?

They will:

• Welcome and help newbies find their way around by signposting relevant forums and threads
    • Facilitate or start discussions
    • Respond to new users
    • Offer advice and identify other members who can help answer users’ queries if they can’t.

I would like to form a small team of volunteers (10-12 people) who will cover some of the sub-forums under the Staffroom and Workplace sections for a trial period, initially for three months, to see how other members respond to the idea and get feedback from the participants.

If you would like to help us by becoming a forum host or community champion please post in this thread to let us know which role you are interested in and what forums (at least three please) you would like to cover, in order of preference. Also, please let us know if you would be willing to cover other forums if the ones you are interested in are not available. I can’t promise that we’ll be able to offer you all the forums you want to cover, particularly if they prove to be popular ones.

If you’re kind enough to volunteer and already spend a lot of time on here then we’d ideally need you to check your forums and post on most days so that you are visible and available, if needed by other forum members. However, this is a voluntary role and everyone has a life away from the forums so if there are times where you cannot be available please let us know.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank all of the helpful and supportive members in this Community. I appreciate everything you do to make this a vibrant, successful and growing community. I hope that some of you will be willing to take on this new challenge and help to maintain the forums to keep it a safe, welcoming and friendly place to post and make new friends.

For those members who agree to be volunteers, I want to thank you in advance for becoming the first group of hosts and champions. I hope this will be a successful trial which can be rolled out across the forums later this year. If a lot of people are interested then we can cover more forums during this initial stage; we can also train more people later in the year, if the trial period is successful.

I know this new idea may prompt a lot of debate and questions but please can you keep this thread free for people to post about what role they are interested in and what forums they would like to cover.

Please feel free to start a new thread about this idea and post that link in this thread.

Thank you.

The deadline for volunteering for these roles is at 11am on Monday 24th April.

Please note the following:

· Volunteer forum hosts and community champions are not moderators. They do not deal with reported posts, contentious content – which is part of the Moderation Team’s remit. However, they will report content which breaches the house rules. They will flag up threads that they have locked to the Moderation Team.

· Community champions and forum hosts are regular members of the Community who wish to be recognised by new and established members for consistently offering advice and support; tips on navigating the forums; signposting; being friendly and welcoming and do not mind being identified as helpful people in the forums.

· A ‘community champion’ banner or a ‘forum host’ banner will be added to your avatar if you agree to carry out one of these roles. For the sake of transparency and awareness, I will also announce all the members of the new support team and what they do in the forums so that everyone knows who these people are.

· Training will be available for some of the forum host tasks.

· Forum hosts are not techies, however if they have some technical knowledge that may help a member then they can respond to users’ posts.

· Forum hosts cannot see reported posts.

· Volunteers need to be active in the forums for at least six months and should have a good posting history.

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Aunty Dunty has been an unofficial Community Champion since last November! She has worked tirelessly to provide comfort and succour to all who have visited her Problem Page. Nay, she even goes cross- threadular and inter-fora! She is friendly and helpful and consistently offers expert advice and support.

Aunty Dunty does this out of the goodness of her heart and for the benefit of the Community. She also has cracking parties at Dunty Dungeons! Don't forget the Spring Gala Garden Party, which will take place soon. No camels.
    She's up to her elbows in amuse-bouches...

Aunty Dunty has no desire to act in an official capacity nor to be given an accolade next to her avatar. People know where to find her in their hour of need, and that is enough.

Regards,

P. Boudicaa Dunty

Community Agony Aunt
    Director: Date with Dunty
    Do it with Dunty
    Decorate with Dunty
    On the Couch with Dunty
    Come Dine with Dunty
    etc etc etc
    2017-02-09-15-05-49-1858920559.jpeg

4. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to thank all those members who were interested in this role and I completely understand if you have changed your mind. It was never my intention to cause upset, alarm, or burden people unnecessarily. It was an idea that has worked elsewhere to recognise the work that active and helpful users do on other forums and I thought it would work here. I'm going to lock this thread because the deadline has passed now.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.