1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you leave?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 14, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

If the UK leave Europe, do you think Scotland will leave the UK so they can stay in?

If the UK leave Europe and Scotland leaves the UK, would you move to Scotland?

If the UK leave Europe with Scotland, would you move to an EU country to stay in?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think if England votes to leave and Scotland votes to stay then there will be another Scottish Independence Referendum. I don't think that scenario is entirely implausible.

I already live in Scotland.

No, I have a home and a job here.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I beginning to think coming down from the trees was a bad idea.

If Scotland does leave the UK to stay in the EU, there is a large body of opinion "up north" that wouldn't mind joining them.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not sure - will be interesting

No - too wet too cold

Don't think so - but have considered moving to France since retiring.

At present most likely to vote to leave. But too much scare mongering on both sides.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Maybe.
    I'm already there.
    Probably not but I assume that not being in the EU would make my life harder.

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

No because they spend more than they earn. There is no given that Scotland could join the EU. If they did they would probably need to adopt Euros.
    I can see no reason to live in Scotland ever.
    I would not move to stay in the EU. France or Italy would are OK places to live EU or not.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

i would run screaming for the Scottish hills along with the other 5 million ex pats in Europe who have worked hard to get the vote out to stay in. There are far shy-pro-Europeans than I think people think.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If the UK makes plans to leave the EEC I suspect that the likes of Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon will strut and fret their hour upon the world stage, tearing their hair out and threatening departure from the Union and then we shall hear little more: a classical tale told by a couple of self-important and self-promoting idiots, full of sound and fury but signifying nothing. Scotland cannot exist financially without the rest of the Union and, had they left a year or so ago, would now be asking for financial aid following the crash in oil prices.

If the UK leaves Europe and Scotland leaves the UK, I would be very happy not to move to Scotland. I have been there several times in recent years and met some lovely people. However, the 'anti-English' sentiment is not far below the surface and is evident in pubs, restaurants and shops.

If the UK leaves Europe with Scotland, I would certainly not move to an EU country to stay in. The whole thing is an experiment which is fast becoming identified as a slow-motion car crash.

lexus300 likes this.
  9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Has Scotland suddenly discovered a big pile of cash under the mattress? Does the EU need another "nation" to subsidise? If Greece and Italy and Portugal are stuffed, what chance does Scotland think it's got?

lexus300 and Alf58 like this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Interesting the way this veered from the EU to Scotland-bashing quite quickly.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

a) They may want to, but it wouldn't be that easy. Take years I think.

b) No!!!!

c) Perhaps - but as much for the weather as anything else!

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

On the other hand, my brother moved to Scotland with his family a few years ago now, and has never found there to be any anti-English sentiment.

13. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Same old..

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Gerry Adams wouldn't like it.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The problem with the EU is it is no longer the 'Common Market' we joined way back then. The idea of a free market economy across Europe was excellent. The reality of twerps in Brussels dictating how curved our cucumbers can be, whether or not we can eat prawn cocktail crisps and other stuff and nonsense, particularly to do with taxation, is completely different.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Does this actually happen or are those just urban myths?

17. BelleDuJour

Pretty sure it happens Catmother. So much stuff and nonsense comes out of Brussels one loses track. Also happen not to agree with freedom of movement (ad lib immigration). We live on an increasingly overpopulated tiny island where we cannot house our own folk, never mind immigrants. It's just fact...........we cannot keep on taking more and more and more. There's just not enough room! Thank God we kept pout of the Euro too..................bound to end in tears.

wanet likes this.
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Unlike the current English government who are so sensible.

aspensquiver_2 and coffeekid like this.
  19. BelleDuJour

True CM......but at least it's home grown!

20. Flere-Imsaho

The produce regulations covering bendy bananas and cucumbers were overturned in 2008. Some of them never applied in Britain anyway.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.