1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you keep this ENT appointment?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lardylady, Mar 10, 2018.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

After a sore throat lasting a month, during which time I was prescribed a course of antibiotics, I went back to the GP and was referred to the ENT department of the local hospital because my symptoms had lasted longer than 3 weeks. He also prescribed some more antibiotics and said the appointment at ENT will be within the next 2 weeks. I don't want to waste NHS resources, and I keep thinking that if this course of antibiotics clears up my sore throat and other symptoms, should I still keep the ENT appointment or cancel? WWYD?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'd keep it. A sore throat for a month is a long time. Have you still got your tonsils?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Yes I have. I have also started feeling strain in my voice at the end of every day, for the first time in nearly 30 years of teaching.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would definitely keep the appointment.
    Without wanting to scare you, but a friend has what she thought was a recurrent mouth ulcer which turned out to be cancerous and necessitated part of her tongue and jaw being removed as she'd thought 'it was nothing!'.

Safer to know it isn't an indication of anything more serious and therefore certainly not a waste of resources of their time.

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Thanks both ☺ Will definitely go.

freckle06 and sabrinakat like this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Definitely keep the appointment - they're not always easy to get| It will put your mind at rest and you're certainly not wasting resources.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Indeed. I am under the ENT dept of our Local hospital since my carotid surgery last year ( it resulted in a paralysed vocal chord) They use an making camera which easily can be passed through the airway so they can view larynx, vocal chords, back of throat etc. They can then se whether there are nodules forming or catch anything at an early stage......see any irritation etc etc, Is all good. They also link to speech therapy ( which I Indeed needed) So make use of the appointment if for nothing else but to put your mind at rest.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I went on Thursday and the doctor put a tiny camera up my nose into the back of my throat. Good job I didn't know he was going to do that or I would have been quite worried beforehand (I'm a big wuss) but it didn't hurt, just felt strange. He suspects that my problems may be due to acid reflux but also noticed that one of my tonsils was enlarged so I have to go back to have a scan.