1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you have said yes to this marriage proposal?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 26, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

2. modelmaker

3. Hell no!! What a ****.

4. I would say yes! I have an evil sense of humour myself and if someone had the balls to throw themselves off a building for me then good on them [​IMG]

5. impis

impis New commenter

Bloody idiot! Fancy scaring her like that!

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Good thing some pranksters didn't remove the mat while his back was turned...

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Any marriage proposal which involves the presence/participation of anyone other than the couple is (in my opinion) a nauseating example of "look at me, aren't I worth looking at?"

8. I see what you're saying pinkflipflop, and I love a good wind-up, but for a proposal? The bloke had made it all about him, and everyone thinking what a 'legend' he was. I'd be mortified if I was proposed to in front of a group of people, nevermind the fella chucking himself off a roof. Where is the romance? the candlelight? the harp-playing cherubs flying overhead? OK I'm getting carried away...

9. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Public proposals always make me think that the one doing the proposing is either
    (1) arrogant enough to assume you're going to say yes
    or
    (2) manipulative enough to put you in a position of it being very difficult not to say yes

The proposal should be private, intimate. it's about two people, not all their mates.

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, I agree - but did you see the ring? [​IMG]

11. I would have hoped my partner knew me well enough to know that I feel these things should be private between two people.

12. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Actually, I think it might have worked on me. The whole business of falling off the edge would have made me forget, at least for a moment, the How-dare-you-do-this-in-public thing.
    Then again, maybe the How-dare-you-scare-me-like-that might win over.

Whoever it was above who said that this guy wanted it to be all about him is probably right.

13. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I would say yes and I'd think he had amazing balls to dive off a building, even if there is a big inflatable under him.

...That would all be AFTER I'd battered him for scaring me though.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No...I've had one heart attack, thanks very much. What a ****.

15. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Hmmm. Proposal is one thing - but getting married?
    Couldn't help thinking - suppose she was desperate for the loo throughout the whole thing? [​IMG]

16. I thought it was an advert - he was holding a bottle which I didn't recognise, and later when they were interviewed they both had the same brand bottles. BUT there would be no way I could have fallen any height onto an airbag!

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That wasn't as bad as I had assumed on reading the first few comments.
    I also believe that a proposal should be between two people but assuming that they were surrounded by close friends then I would have said yes.
    I hate the idea of a full on public proposal e.g. the at the ball game type of thing.

18. Someone on Youtube commented that after the marriage he will probably start wishing the airbag hadn't been there. I was thinking that if his attention-seeking antics continued, so might she!!
    Re the second one, I just kept wishing they had taken an extra minute or 2 to remove the brown t-shirt (surely they could have organised a screen of some sort?) and button her into the dress properly.
    Also they could easily have stopped her crying over the girl throwing water in her man's face by saying "Apologies, ma'am, this woman used to work here and this is the second time she has attacked a diner in this way - as soon as your date has been dried off you will be receiving a voucher for ten free meals" or something - because it was a shame she had to be so upset at the beginning and all confused because she thought he was having an affair or something. They just needed to get her on her own and get him away to change, surely there was no reason to do it in a way that upset and frightened her!

19. modelmaker

I have to admit it wouldn't have suited me, and as a bloke, in any potential wife of mine pulled a stunt like that on me, I'd be vary wary of the next one.
    I agree very much with the posters who condemn events like this. It's banal, pointless, manipulative and there for all time to embarrass everyone involved.
    It's a shame there wasn't anyone who looked like a teacher present who could blamed for it.
    But where does it all come from?
    Wedding costs are ludicrously out of control for those that need all that **** and if you have to fork out for the proposal stunt as well, where does it all end?