1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you go this far if a work-to-rule replaced the strike?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by RailroadGin, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

With the prospect of losing at least one day's pay it does seem strange that we are not also "working to rule".
    I have been told that nowadays such an activity is not deemed as straightforward as in the past (and certain "grey" areas could result in problems with being in breach of contract) however unions should be providing a checklist of what we can legitimately refuse to do.
    For starters....supported study, corridor supervision during breaks and lunchtime, meetings held at lunchtime, school shows and after school clubs, sports activities at the weekend or after school day.
    Let's see what else could be added so that the loss of pay is softened by reducing all the extra (unpaid) work we currently do.

2. I think work to rule is the way forward. It shows that we are willing to still do the basic job of educating our pupils, but all the value-added things we do: extra curric, meetings, lunch meetings, working outside our allotted hours. It also keeps the parents on side. Striking is last measures, when nothing else has worked.

3. That article seems to suggest that putting up Christmas decorations is part of a teacher's job. On another day the same paper would be spinning that as a terrible waste of public money it is to pay teachers to decorate their schools.

4. sbf

sbf New commenter

No way, everyone out.
    If we dont fight with the big guns we will get trampled over.
    Tories need to be told.

5. Tread carefully here. These value-added items may very well be part of the contract, depending on your Working Time Agreement. As I understand it, we are contracted to work for an average of 6 hours a day/30 hours a week in direct teaching/learning duties. The other hour per day/5 hours per week is set aside for teaching-related duties not directly connected to the classroom.
    This one hour a day adds up to the famous "190 hours" a year and can include things such as staff meetings, reporting, parent-teacher interviews, required extra-curricular activities, and so on. How this time is used should be spelled out at school level in your Working Time Agreement, which, again, as I understand, must be agreed by all staff. So don't assume that extra-curricular means outside the contract. Check your Working Time Agreement and let that be your guide for working to rule.

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Totally agree
    Work to rule a waste of time when it comes to pensions issue, unfortunately we have to cause disruption.
    Mr Alexander's "generous offer" is an absolute disgrace - when are MPs going to look at their own pensions? Probably be on the agenda for the same meeting when they look at the corporate greed in the city of London (i.e. never)
    Can't get round this sentiment - we have far higher pensions than people in the private sector. Firstly, there are nearly twice as many graduates in the public sector than the private, so its not surprising pensions are higher. Secondly just because private sector pensions are "lower" do we need a race to the bottom? Oh - I forgot there are no unions in the private sector to stick up for workers entitlements.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] But remember - ' . . . we're all in it together'.
    Which lying toe-rag said that? Was it Cameron?