1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you go back?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Nebka, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Nebka

Nebka New commenter

I took ARB this year due to my husband ill health but the fantastic indie school I worked at has contacted me to work PT again. I worked PT in this school for only two years after my main teaching post of 20+yrs in a difficult inner city school managed by inefficient SLT. I enjoy being off but I also miss the hub of working life! What would you do?

Lindaminh likes this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If I was asked to come back to help becasue somebody was off sick for a long time, I might consider it. Otherwise no - I retired because the time for me to stop had come. This is despite having a great department to work with, and mostly great students.

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I was talking to someone who has agreed to 6 weeks 4days/week from Jan. Ye gods! Why? She doesn't need the money.

4. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

I'm looking forward to short to medium contracts, say a month up to three months, but will still consider myself retired from Christmas. I like the idea of trying out different schools for a few years, but also being able to have extended breaks when I want. I don't like the idea of part-time as you always have to be there in the academic year. Depends on what you want to do, and the needs of your husband.

5. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I retired at the summer. No way am I going back. My registration will not be renewed in April when in runs out so that will be that. I know quite a number of retired teachers and they all say the same.

catmother, Lara mfl 05 and lindenlea like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I would consider going back to full-time teaching if I could also go back thirty years.

lizziescat, Lara mfl 05 and ScotSEN like this.
  7. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

Would a released prisoner choose to go back to his cell?

catmother, ScotSEN and FrankWolley like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No.

But 2 days a week, in a selective school - perhaps!

9. Twinklefoottoe

The only way is forward!!

4.5 days to go, no more bottom set year 8 and 9 on a Friday afternoon. No more performance management, data collection, meaningless levels, work trawls, meetings, inset, open days, breaking up fights, supervising corridors or detentions, no more writing to sh@@ parents because they can't / won't be contacted by phone, arguing with parents over mobile phones, no more endless planning, making up evidence, lying about grades, bending all the rules in the controlled assessments and feeling exhausted, depressed, isolated socially and withdrawn. No more stroppy Head and SLT encounters, no more being dumped on with more requested for data that means Jack sh@@ and no more behaviour management strategies that don't work in today's schools.

A new life of long holidays when I want them, a bit if supply when I'm in the mood and time for a life.

You have to have an IQ of a rabbit to go into teaching today!

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Remember that and don't waste too much time being bitter. I'm over it now (6 years on)

11. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I do not know how I ever managed to complete 37 years.
    Not missed.

plot71 likes this.
  12. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Are you making a leaving speech?

13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I wouldn't return to mainstream for all the tea in China. However, my retirement was a little premature in terms of my working life. I am currently working 3.5 days a week at a charity working with children in difficult circumstances. It's people focussed, they like what I do, I work with the kids as they are, not where some bureaucrat thinks they should be. In addition, I'm doing some adult education, and few other bits. My skills seem to be valued again, and work is good again.

14. Twinklefoottoe

1.5 days to go, 7 lessons. Cannot wait to walk out the door, knowing that never again do I have to go through days exhausted and demoralised doing endless pointless tasks, with the Head constantly on my back over stupid data stuff and intervention plans. I'm actually looking forward to supply and the chance to teach properly again, without the nonsense. But first, Bangkok and Thailand on Friday for 4 weeks.

Compassman, Yoda- and ScotSEN like this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I do like the thought of holidays when I want - and no I would not go back even on supply. Let the young staff serve their time now (excuse the pun). I will be that uncle who offers advice but always gives the baby back before I go home. I enjoyed the job for 32+ years but the last 5 were hard work.

16. Twinklefoottoe

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

1 morning, 3 lessons to go and the sh 1t finally gets scraped off the shoe.

I chose freedom.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Whilst I can understand your excitement about retiring I do find some of your comments worrying. The job is much more challenging now, data is over the top but you seem to just hate it all which is a sad way to finish in my opinion. I am in my 35th year of teaching and know that retirement will probably be right for me soon. However I think it may not always be the 'system' that is wrong just me getting older and tired! I find it more difficult to adapt to new ways of doing things but accept this may be more down to me. Yes I am looking forward to being my own person again but do not look back over the past years in such a negative way as you appear to do so. I hope your last day was enjoyable and that you can now rest and heal. Hopefully in time you be able to put your teaching years into a more favourable context.

plot71 and eljefeb90 like this.
  18. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Conditions are empirically worse now than they have ever been and workload has massively increased, so I see why Twinklefoottoe sounds so embittered. I was wondering what to say in my leaving speech but nobody wants to hear a load of negativity and recriminations , especially at Christmas; it only gets depressing and slightly embarrassing.

19. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

Most of the teachers who I've seen retire in the last few years, and many of them in their early 50s, are not happy about going but feel they have no choice. Teaching is not hard and not difficult; you prepare lessons, you teach them, mark, record marks and keep students and parents informed, with a bit of pastoral stuff, the odd duty and the odd trip thrown in for good measure.

What has angered most retiring teachers I know is how unecessary and exhausting the incessent changes have become, the endless administration tasks, endless meetings, evidence collection, data collection, target setting, action plans, accountability, performance reviews, the little time they are given to do all of this extra stuff, the erosion of their social and family life, all of which few teachers know or believe adds to the teaching and learning experience.

I fully understand why many retiring teachers are angry, have had enough and leave feeling that it's all been a waste of time but thank God their pension is enough to get by on!

eljefeb90, Lara mfl 05 and Compassman like this.
  20. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Exactly.

I have not retired per se (moved to another job at 52) but the post above knows the nail on the head.

If I had been able to just get on with the job as I had done for the majority of the 30 years of my teaching career then I'd would have been happy to carry on. However, the admin, the micromanagement, unreasonable accountability, increased hours, continually feeling tired are just not worth it.

I may do a bit of supply in the future but as for a full time teaching post - no way.

valyates, ScotSEN and Lara mfl 05 like this.