1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you give up a year of your life for the perfect body?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I've just read in my Slimming World magazine that 35% of men say they'd sacrifice a year of life to achieve their ideal body weight.
    It doesn't state how this statistic came about [​IMG]
    I look forward to reading your views. Be back later when the wee ones are settled [​IMG]

2. I have spent many years gathering the body I have, don't think a year would crack it!

3. Depends, which year?

4. Most definitely. If It could help me finally get back into shape and kick my bad eating habits and sort my head out then Id be there in a heartbeat.
    Whats a year in grand scheme of things

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It just goes to show that 35% of whatever sample they chose for that survey are clueless want-wits

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Who defines 'perfect' body weight?
    And who says how long I have to live...what if I am actually predestined to die in 366 days time and go for this deal...one day of being slim and then I die! I'd rather stay pudgy and have a full(ish) life!
    And why is a perfect body defined by weight? I could be really slim - but my body would still not function. I would still need a stick to walk - losing weight won't cure the problems that I was born with!.
    My body is far from perfect....my life isn't perfect either....but I wouldn't give up a year of my life to fit some arbitrary statistical measure of bodily perfection.
    I am overweight....I walk with a stick...I need tinted glasses...I have less than perfect teeth...I have the worst hair....Gok Wan would have his work cut out with me....but do you know something....I am GORGEOUS!.....despite the enormous body issues I have....I am something really special....and I am going to enjoy as much as possible of my life however short/long it may be, and not give up a single minute!

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

[​IMG]

8. butties

butties New commenter

Yes you are gorgeous, most definitely, you are also entertaining, I thoroughly enjoy all your posts! GO BETHANNIE!!!!!!!

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It feels as if I have. It's taken me 9 months on Weight Watchers to get from a size 18 down to a size 12. Now the tricky work of sticking on that weight has started. I work out 6 days a week and am paranoid that if I miss a session none of my new clothes will fit anymore. I am hoping that I manage to relax about it a bit more with time!
    I do feel a lot better for being at a healthier weight though and I enjoy the exercise. I can still have the food that I enjoy. I just need to control the portion sizes. I used to tell myself that it was more important to enjoy life than be slim. I have now discovered that I enjoy life more for being slim.

10. All the people I know who have lost a huge life changing amount of weight..I'm talking 3-4 stone plus have given up a year of their life to be slim. They are people who have dedicated themselves to slimming and thats why they were successful. A lady at my slimming world class lost around 6 stone in a year and had gone on to lose another 2 and a half stone.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Its taken me 9 months to lose 2 stone in slimmers world..and i stil have 6 stone to go!
    i wouldnt give up a year of my life...but i woud if i could be my weight and never have to worry what i ate! Then i wouldnt need to worry about slimming
    Bethannie says she is wonderful...i still have this vision in my mind of her in a basque yum yum! . Myself i wish i had cheeko body but without having to do all the weights he must do to maintain his shape

12. Did she! How very interesting [​IMG]

13. It depends on what you mean.
    If you mean it as some mythical, magical thing where you can wave a magic wand and shazammmm have a perfect body but die a year earlier than you would have, then, no way. I would rather live an extra year a bit tubby and fighting my waistline all the time.
    But if you mean it as spend a year focussing entirely on building up that perfect body, I guess it would be worth it, but of course most of us could do that anyway if we really wanted to. But it wouldn't be really LOSING a year of your life, it would be a year of your life spent doing different things, you would still be there for your family, etc, all the important things that really matter in life.
    And also, define a perfect body. Would it be perfectly healthy, with no chance of cancer or anything, perfect in and out?

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

If I lost the aches and pains as well, hmm yes, being fit as a butchers dog and then dropping dead has to be a pretty good arrangement.

15. on new years day 2012 i tipped the scales at 133kg (21 stone in old money). my target is to lose 4 stone this year. as of today i have lost just under 9kg so i am on course.
    two inches off my waist so far.
    i am not going to the gym any more than before, its all been done to sensible eating so far. now the nice evenings are here the bike can come out of the shed and i iwll aim to do around 45-60 mins 3 times a week.
    when i achieve the target of 4 stone i wont stop, i would like to lose more but i feel that 4 stone this year is a realistic target.

16. Those who lose weight very quickly, via gastric band type surgeries, will have an awful lot of excess skin. They may look ok in clothes but the skin which had had to expand to get around the extra weight is not going to disappear.
    They will need surgery to remove it - surgery which carries a lot of risk and considerable pain, apparently - and some may not either have the funds themselves or be able to get the NHS to pay for it or have the courage or be healthy enough to cope with more *body shock* surgery...

17. At my age, days are too precious to squander, for whatever reason. Well, two years ago, I would have said this; now hardly any day is worth living.

18. Oh I am sorry Jenny. I do hope your luck changes and good things come your way.

19. Today I boiled six eggs...to eat as meals/snacks...not all in one day.
    I forgot this morning that I was going to try and eat more protein and cut down on carbs...and tucked into a lovely bowl of porridge for breakfast. (Made with water, as I like it.)
    My problem is that I hate the rigidity of diets...
    I cleaned out my 'tins' cupboard yesterday - it was a job well overdue - and found LOADS of tins of tuna almost at their 'use by' date...Given I filled two carrier bags full of food items that had gone well past their 'use by' dates I am determined I'll eat this tuna rather than chuck it. (So wasteful - I hated binning so much food and felt ashamed of myself for not managing my 'stock' better.)
    A friend has lost a stone just by limiting herself to two slices of bread a day and eating only tuna and tomatoes (on lettuce leaves) for lunch. It wasn't a diet...she just decided not to eat so much bread. Like me, she had a surfeit of tinned tuna! She is extremely active though....she does no 'exercise' per se, she's just a very busy person.
    I intend to have lots of tuna salads. I think nice sunny days encourage us to eat salads.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Someone I know had a gastric band done privately, I very much doubt she was enough over weight for NHS. To me she looked about 20 stone. She has lost all the weight and did exercise daily alongside it. However she looks awful now. She has lots of loose skin everywhere, her neck looks like a chicken and her face is very wrinkley and her saggy arms look like an 80 year olds.. In fact I would say it has aged her nearly 20 years. She looked much better before. Not worth it.