1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you give up a job....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by bunique, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Your employer has responsibility for completing a risk assessment which should outline how they will manage the risk of kids who lash out - if they do their job, it should mean you shouldn't have to leave yours!!

2. thank you, and that would mean telling them before I am 3 months clear?? or could I wait till after the 3 month mark?

3. Tigsy I taught violent students up to the age of 16. I didn't tell anyone until I was 14 weeks but I was more cautious of myself. Once my pregnancy was obvious, the students behaved differently. They did understand that knocking into a pregnant woman is much more serious than if they weren't pregnant.
    People don't normally tell before 12 weeks Tigsy because if they lose the baby work is a bit of a 'take your mind of it refuge' and if the kids know then it isn't that.
    Good luck whatever you choose to do.
    lol weebecka

4. Personally, I would tell them asap. I ended up telling my HT at 8 wks because I was soooo exhausted that I didn't want him to think I was slacking or whinging of a cold etc.
    From experience of hearing others, most HT's seem to appreciate you telling them earlier. It means they have the time to organise etc too.
    Also you should tell them because of health and safety, and if you are a good school they should do everything they can to make things risk free for you.

5. You don't need to tell them at all until you're 25 weeks but depending on what your head is like, you could speak to them in confidence (and they must respect that confidence, as far as I'm aware!) so they can begin the risk assessment and put things in place to protect you. I don't work in schools anymore so am sure someone will be able to give some proper real-life advice. Some employers are useless at getting risk assessments done though so you may need to keep on at them!