1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you give an NQT KS5 work?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dragonslayer33000, Dec 27, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

BTEC is very complicated to administer, you must be completely clear about the paper work, and you must keep on top of it.

As far as I know, you cannot take responsibility for it as a single teacher, you need a moderator in school, so you will have someone to check everything with.

If there is no moderator in school, then you will need to cooperate with the exam board, they will have an external moderator assigned to you, who will be able to check your work, but you need to get every single assignment checked, and before it is issued to students, so find out straight away who is checking these, an make contact right away.

yes, you can teach subjects that are not your area of expertise, all teachers have to do that, just make sure you learn the material first, and are confident with it.

Yes you can teach post 16 as an NQT, it would be expected in most situations

You need to familiarise yourself with the whole system very thoroughly, and be extremely organised. You also need to be meticulously fair,

You also need to set yourself a strict limit on the number of hours a week to work, and refuse point blank to go even 1 minute over it. When I taught BTEC, 100+ hors working week would be common, meaning going several days a week without sleep. I was stupid to do it, and I think the course is set up differently now, so the number of drafts is no longer limitless, but stilll, be very strict about that.

These days, no way would I go over 70. You've got to set yourself a limit and stick to it

sadscientist and agathamorse like this.
  2. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

Am I the only one wondering why the teachers who had been teaching the course have been let go?

yodaami2, agathamorse and meggyd like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Or why there isn't a more experienced person in the department - and we appear to be talking science here so i am guessing it wont be a one person dept like politics or music- who can guide the teacher through this.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

possibly because in my experience, BTEC ( a fabulous course - when used properly) is used as a dustbin, for the rubbish kids and the inexperienced teachers, its given no time, no resources, pathetic rooming, and certainly an experienced teacher won't be wasted showing a newbie how to do it.

GirlGremlin and saluki like this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

The Nqt's hod and mentor are not acting in a professional manner then. The nqt should be able to plan lessons but the sow should exist already.

ATfan likes this.
  6. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Used to teach a lot of BTEC science and adored it. My resources are all pre 2016 but if there's anything I can help with let me know OP.

Are there assignments and tracking sheets in place?

7. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

This definitely applies to the old Level 2 course, far too many weaker pupils were pushed through it to get "GCSE equivalent" results for the league tables.
    I don't think it was ever quite as bad at Level 3, but the assessment and tracking can still be a nightmare.

8. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Spot on.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Not necessarily true.
    My school is desperate for biologists.