1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you give an NQT KS5 work?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dragonslayer33000, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Wish I'd worked in your college! My first lot of A-Level students were awful!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I taught some A-level in my GTP year - it was just after I had been observed with a lovely year 13 group, teaching a topic I had known nothing about until I prepared that part of the course (my degree was over 25 years old by then), that I was offered a permanent job. I had two year 12 and one year 13 classes in my NQT year, and would have been upset if I hadn't.

ATfan likes this.
  3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I think the OP would bite their hand off if they were offering A level Biology. But they are not.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Piranha like this.
  4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Hahaha. But you should have met the GCSE and Functional Skills students that I taught. :D:D

Generally speaking, something seems to happen after a student turns 17. Many of them start to drive; I don't know if that makes a difference. Or whether they become more focused on their future. They just start to become more pleasant mature and hard working and a pleasure to teach. Except, of course, those who get worse. They are a real pain in the butt.

ATfan, peter12171 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Probably true, but the title of this thread does mention KS5.

ATfan and yodaami2 like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I taught my subject at A level in my first year of teaching (there was nobody else in the department who could do it).

7. steely1

steely1 New commenter

I also taught a Year 12 group in my NQT year (taking them through to Year 13 in the following year) - my subject is timetabled as such that the A Level groups are shared between two teachers. It was quite a happy partnership between myself as a newbie and a more experienced colleague. I learned a lot about what works - and what doesn't - with Sixth Form groups in my NQT year. It was invaluable.

What I've generally learned over the years is that Sixth Form / A Level teaching is a privilege - while some may argue entrusting a Sixth Form group with an NQT is a risk, I think it's up to the NQT to make the most of the opportunity it presents.

8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

True.

ATfan likes this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A very good way of doing things, if possible. I shared my year 12 and 13 classes in my NQT year with other teachers, and learned a lot from them. It also gave the students a chance to ask the other teacher if I hadn't been clear - not that I know this happened. I saw it a quite a vote of confidence in me when, a couple of years later, I started being paired with less experienced teachers.

10. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

@saluki If some of my previous colleges were anything to go by, I know what you mean and totally agree. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  11. Bouncyb22

Bouncyb22 New commenter

I feel your pain! I’ve been given a KS5 vocational A level course in a subject tenuously linked to my own. We are one of the first schools to jump onto the course, there is no text book and my mentor has basically told me I’m in charge!

In addition the previous teacher didn’t mark my year 13’s year 12 controlled assessment so I have absolutely nothing to base my own marking off!!! Really is the blind leading the blind.

yodaami2 and ATfan like this.
  12. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Perhaps the problem is not the NQT delivering the course but that some courses are badly designed and do not provide resources and support for the teachers.

yodaami2, DYNAMO67, steely1 and 2 others like this.
  13. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Today's NQTs expect resources unlike teachers years ago who just got on and worked their way through the course using their own skills. Sounds harsh but true. I know things have changed a great deal and expectations are very different but subject knowledge and methodology are not what they used to be. I recall the young teacher who claimed she could not teach without a whiteboard as all her resources were on there.

14. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Yes - if the NQT has the knowledge and skills to teach it.

I taught A Level in my NQT year.

15. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

As an economics teacher, I would find it impossible to teach without a whiteboard and something to draw graphs on. I don't think this makes me a lesser teacher though?

agathamorse likes this.
  16. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

I suspect @meggyd means the teacher wanted a smart/interactive whiteboard that she could show powerpoints on.

meggyd likes this.
  17. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Indeed. The teacher concerned could only work from powerpoints.

18. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

Thanks @meggyd

To @GirlGremlin - a lesser teacher? If you're using a whiteboard to model and show the process of learning, more an excellent teacher!

I knew a GTP (remember them?) about ten years ago who demanded an interactive whiteboard, exactly so he could show powerpoints to the classes. He lasted less than half a year.

Piranha likes this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I remember them - I was one myself. I don't know why you need an interactive whiteboard for PowerPoints - just a projector of some kind. But I agree that it is often (but not always) better not to use them.

:)

20. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

My first A level class was one I took over mid-stream and I was honest with them, told them that they probably knew the spec better than I did and that if they wanted to pull the wool over my eyes they could probably succeed...but would they get what they wanted from the course as they'd probably fail if they did. I made sure I was several steps ahead but they always accepted that I wouldn't know everything and when that happened we found out together or I did so before the next lesson - they appreciated the effort (because they could see it!) that I made and worked their socks off. They had to justify anything that they knew that I didn't and it created a very positive learning environment.

Piranha and agathamorse like this.