1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you enjoy a Spa Day on your own?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I'm wondering as I'd like to book a Spa Day for my mum for her 70th - she mentioned a while ago how she's never had anything special like that before so it seems an ideal treat. There are a couple of amazing spa hotels near me, but I can only afford to pay for her to go (around £120). Would she enjoy this on her own? (I've been to one, many years ago on a Hen do, so a different experience...). I'll be having her to stay the night before and after taking my children to school, will drive her over to the Spa as a surprise. I'm then planning to collect her later and take her out in the evening for a meal as a family. Dad died last year, so she really deserves something special.....

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would but I've been a few times to different spas so I feel confident about getting around and what's on offer.
    It depends on your Mum really. Is she used to going to a spa? If she is then buy her a couple of good thick magazines and she'll have a great day.

3. Yes.
    Although maybe they have a cheaper option (not taking all the stuff on offer) and you could have a spa afternoon with her?

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Depends on personality I think. I have been with someone and by myself (very lucky). I must admit, that in many ways I preferred going by myself, as I could totally relax without feeling the need to chat; I could do what I wanted, when I wanted; I could swim at my own pace, and I could have the chocolate cake without feeling embarrassed! If you're not sure, you could drop hints for Mothers Day for yourself - or for your own birthday!

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think going with someone would be better. I find it really boring when you're having fairly long treatment with a beautician that you don't know. I also hate the waiting between treatments.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I think it is a bad idea. Oh her birthday, she will be thinking about your Dad. Giving her oodles of time to think (such as a day at a Spa) about his passing may not be the best idea. A trip to the seaside together (or something similar) would be much better.

7. Mr G once bought me one. Something happened first thing which really upset me and I couldn't contact him all day. It was really hard. It is a lovely idea though, and if you look on Laterooms they have lots off 2 for 1 offers - do have a look at those. I think it is Laterooms, it is the one which has Secret Hotels.

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Have you signed up to Groupon and the like? The other day they were offering 2 hour treatments for two at Cameron House here in Scotland. Probably not much use to you but Cameron House is an ultra posh 5 star hotel here, so it shows you what you can get. Oh, the treatments for 2 came to about £60 which is sooo much cheaper than it'd normally be there.

9. I had missed the bit about your Dad (although of course, I knew, didn't I, duh?)

I think she may prefer a "family" day, or at least some special time with you. What I did with my Mum once...(this may not be for you) was to book a session at one of those places where you can paint pottery. We had a right laugh and ended up finger painting. And we went for a meal afterwards. I still have the flowerpot she painted for me (and Dad kept the mug I painted for her).

10. i think i'd probably enjoy Sunday lunch with the family for the same cost rather than be on my own.

11. Let us not forget, however, that her Mum had mentioned she had never had anything like a spa day. So it sounds like she would like one.

So the idea is not totally ludicrous. Maybe not a whole day - a shorter session followed by a girlie lunch together and then meal with the family in the evening.

12. Personally I don't think it's a good idea. OP do you work, I mean when you drop your mum off for her day what will you be doing?
    I agree with too much time on her own, on her special day when she used to do something with your dad, may be very hard. (Obviously I have no idea whether this is what they did together).
    If you're not at work can't you think of something you can do together, rather than dropping her off somewhere for the day to be on her own! I appreciate the cost for both of you may not be possible but do look on Groupon, they always have offers.

13. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks for all the responses. I've been checking Groupon, LivingSocial and Whanda daily since January for deals, but nothing is coming up near me (in Sussex). Having taken on board all your suggestions, I think that I'm just going to flex Mr Credit Card and go with her. She can't be on her own - but she would so love to go so that's that!

14. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You are a good daughter. I hope you both have a wonderful time.

15. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I think that's the best idea Seadream. I've never been to a Spa and one of my daughters bought be a voucher for one 9 months ago, I've got another 3 months to use it! I really don't want to go on my own and was quite surprised my daughter thought I would.

16. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks for the agreement crowbob and katycustard! x

17. I've been to spas a few times but always with a friend. I don't think I'd like to go on my own. And I think your mum would dwell on your dad not being with her on her secial birthday. We always go on two-for-one deals and usually manage to go for £50 or less each.

18. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I've done one spa day (I'm in my 60s) and did it with a friend who is older than your mum. I don't think I'd like to do it alone. My day included breakfast and lunch (it was at a Centre Parc) and I must say that I'd have felt a bit lonely on a table all by myself.

19. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Speaking as a mum, anyone can give you a voucher for a spa day. A far more valuable gift is for a daughter to give up a day to spend WITH YOU, whatever you do.