1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you employ me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DaisysLot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Such questions on application forms regarding sickness absence go against recent legislation and indeed do not have to be answered. Therefore any prospective school would not have any such question on a reference request to your current head and it would be malicious and mean for yoru head to go out of their way to seek to attempt to thrawt your employment chances by scribbling any such information on the reference request form.

2. You have had the time off perfectly legitimately. Apply anyway and explain if you have to. But you shouldn't have to.

3. Thanks so much for your reply - The reference asks for details on attendance but doesn't ask for the days (She has shown me what they are asking for)? Obviously she doesn't want me to get the job but I thought she would just say that I had, had some time off late last year due to personal reasons.

The reference will get to the school before my observation so they don't have to say I didn't get it because of my sickness, they could just say that it was because of something else.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I don't understand heads that act like this - Surely if you don't 'rate' someone you want to nudge them on and out ?

5. First of all, it really annoys me how heads think they can have the last laugh or stick the knife in like this. What have they got to gain??? Sounds like you are best off away from someone like that.
    Secondly, in my county, the school only asks for reference if you are successful at interview, at which point it won't matter- is there a way you can subtly check this out?? Alternatively, if it is mentioned at interview, try to turn it to your best advantage eg, even though I was off sick, since returning to work I have done this, achieved that etc despite overcoming terrible personal circumstances. Dealing with these situations has enhanced my ability to be/ think/ deal with problems in a positive/ pro active way etc etc!
    Finally, good luck.