1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you employ me? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by bizartist, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Apologies if this is the wrong place but I am looking for a bit of advice. I am a qualified teacher with a PGCE in secondary drama with English. I have taught in UK schools for 2 years and then did supply for a further two years. For the past 5 years I have taught in Bahrain and China (1 school in each country) as head of English and drama. I have taught A levels and IGCSE during my time abroad.
    I am thinking of making the move back to the UK and probably applying for head of drama posts. Would I be someone you would consider interviewing? Has my time abroad made me unemployable? I know it is difficult to comment without seeing my full CV etc but just an overview would be really helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hello,
    Apologies if this is the wrong place but I am looking for a bit of advice. I am a qualified teacher with a PGCE in secondary drama with English. I have taught in UK schools for 2 years and then did supply for a further two years. For the past 5 years I have taught in Bahrain and China (1 school in each country) as head of English and drama. I have taught A levels and IGCSE during my time abroad.
    I am thinking of making the move back to the UK and probably applying for head of drama posts. Would I be someone you would consider interviewing? Has my time abroad made me unemployable? I know it is difficult to comment without seeing my full CV etc but just an overview would be really helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

3. Hello bizartist,
    I done quite a bit of work with people in your position applying for jobs at a range of levels. The short answer is yes, they do get the job they are seeking. The longer answer is they do have to spend time making sure they make their application relevant and sell themselves well, both in application and interview and there are various ways to make sure this happens.
    Good luck and if I can be of any assistance do let me know.

4. Thanks Sonia, that is reassuring. I'm prepared to put in the work are there any particular things you could recommend?

5. bizartist, keep in mind this is sonia's business, so her advice may not be free!!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But with a bit of luck, it will be better than her grammar.
    *ouch*
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars