1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you consider having a worm infection in order to become pregnant?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34857022

"Infection with a species of parasitic worm increases the fertility of women, say scientists.

A study of 986 indigenous women in Bolivia indicated a lifetime of Ascaris lumbricoides, a type of roundworm, infection led to an extra two children.

Researchers, writing in the journal Science, suggest the worm is altering the immune system to make it easier to become pregnant.

Experts said the findings could lead to "novel fertility enhancing drugs".

Nine children is the average family size for Tsimane women in Bolivia. And about 70% of the population has a parasitic worm infection."

[​IMG]

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What sort of infections do worms get?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Doubt I could become pregnant with or without the assistance of worms.

midnight_angel and aspensquiver like this.
  4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I wouldn't personally, but I'm saying that as a person who has never had infertility issues. I'd bet that some of my friends who have been desperate for a child for so long would try pretty much anything.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is that why I'm not pregnant?

Damn it worms!!!!

midnight_angel likes this.
  6. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

It smacks of desperation and is horribly horribly gross.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Surely swallowing some barely visible eggs is less gross than IVF or Artificial Insemination? It would allow pregnancy by more conventional means.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Speaking as someone who suffered infertility and got lucky naturally at 43(the month we were going start our first cycle of injections for IVF), if there had been proven legitimate studies, I might have. As it was, I did a combination of western and eastern approaches (acupunture, thyroid meds, metformin (some studies said it decreased miscarriage), prayer, counselling) and know the desperation I felt. I look at my healthy, happy toddler and am so grateful. We might adopt in a few years but if eating powder made from worms/worm eggs (sounds gross, ageed) was proven to help or could help potentially, yes, I would try it.

PS. Sadly, aspen - desperation is the right word, also heartbreak, feelings of failure and a sense of being alone and having suffered a miscarriage as well after years of PCOS (hence, the counselling).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    coffeekid likes this.
  9. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Sorry. I meant the worm - the very idea of a worm - makes me feel ill. Snakes ditto.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I know several women who would have tried anything, including worms. Happily for them, they either conceived eventually, or adopted successfully.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Fascinating stuff, worms have also been seen to reduce allergies and immune system issues such as asthma, they depress bits of the immune response I think to help stop themselves being attacked and the rest is a collateral benefit.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I saw a documentary about parasites and their benefits to the immune system (experiments carried out in a controlled environment)
    Just goes to show that all living things have a place. Apart from wasps. ;- )

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I would consider swallowing worms if it would reduce my allergies. Definitely. Suffering from hayfever today. :(