1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you challenge her?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alwayslearning, Jan 15, 2012.

1. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New commenter

This October I started in a new school as an SLT. Things have been fine, but on Friday another member of staff undermined me in front of the school.
    Basically I asked some children from her class to do something in my assembly, but as this teacher was in a foul mood, she refused to allow them to do it and told them it didn't matter what I had said, she said no!! I was really taken a back as I haven't seen this side of her before (others have, but I hadn't) and didn'treally know how to handle it.
    I've been thinking about it all weekend and although I hate confrontation, I feel I should challenge her for undermining me as a colleague and as a member of SLT. I know she is volatile, but if I don't make a stand I could have more problems in the future. What do you think?

2. She was out of order for undermiming you, but to be honest I cant understand why you would ask children to do something for you without first asking their teacher.

3. I can't believe we have got to the stage where a member of the SLT who is leading an assembly is expected to ask a teacher's permission before invoving children. Better be careful next time I ask someone to choose a hymn or hold a door open [​IMG]
    Undermining colleagues in front of children is unprofessional in any circumstance.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I take assemblies and ask for children to help me all the time. It would never occur to me to ask the classteacher's permission, unless children were going to miss lesson time for some preparation.

And even when I do ask permission from the classteacher, it is merely a courtesy no-one ever says no.

I'd never say no to anyone who asked me for my children either, however much I might feel grumpy. It would just never cross my mind!

5. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New commenter

Thank you for your responses.
    I'd asked the children to sit on a bench at the the back of the hall because they were brilliant at lining up at break for me while the other classes dreadful. I didn't really see the harm as I was rewarding good behaviour and it was my assesmbly anyway.Was I wrong to spontanteously reward their behaiour? She was there when I praised them outside on the yard, but didn't mention that she wasn't happy with me......

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree one shouldn't need to ask permission, but perhaps it' might be courteous to phrase the request as 'Could you do xxxxx for me by next week, if that's alright with you Mrs/Miss XXX?
    If they then say No (unusual though obviously so in this case), you can quickly say something like 'OK, anyone willing to help could they please see me at luchtime?'

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No it wasn't wrong at all. Though of those same children had been an utter nuisance all afternoon then a reward in assembly might have irritated the teacher somewhat. Still no excuse at all for her to say no in front of the whole school.

You ought to speak to the HT.

8. I presumed that you'd asked them to do something in your assembly that required preperation/time out of their classroom - sorry, I do agree with you after all!

9. yeah ... me too!

10. If this were the case, I would think you were in the wrong but not asking beforehand, but obviously this was not the case.