1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you book a trip directly without World Challenge, Exodus etc?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by gogojonny, Jan 16, 2011.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Hope someone can help me get my head around this!
    For adventure trips in the UK, there is the AALA. But the AALA means nothing abroad.
    When booking a trip abroad, how do we determine safety standards? I've look at trips with the big firms (World Challenge, Adventure Works, Exodus) but I have also found a trip which is run by a company within the country itself. Obviously they have a long list of safety wards and are well renowned, but where does that stand back in the UK with the local authority? They sell packages where they pick you up from the airport and basically transfer you from activity to activity over 10 days. As a trip we would just need to book flights.
    What logistics would I have to consider for this? Would you recommend it or advise against it?

2. Hi
    I am an ex school tour company owner and also go on a lot of adventure travel.
    Most companies use a local company on the ground abroad and you can do the same but you step outside the package tour regulations net ( ABTA, ATOL bonding etc) and if something goes wrong say with another ash cloud and you flight is cancelled you are on your own.
    The best thing is to cost it and present the operator with the option of doing a deal.
    I set up www.schooltripadvisor.com to help with this sort of thing and the more teachers that review their schol trip the more helpful it will be.

3. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Thank you. I'm aware that most of the companies uses other parties within each country. I guess the bottom line is that if anything went wrong, and I had organised everything and selected the company, then it is my fault as I had made the decision. But if I booked through a tour company then they would take the flack, as they had selected and checked the company.
    Good point about putting a deal towards the school tour company.
    I had experienced flight problems and it was enough stress trying to get home myself, let alone with a group of students!

4. You will still have duty of care, you never completely hand over responsibility on a school trip to a 3rd party provider. the parents will still expect you to intervene in any situation that develops as you have prior and usually much better knowledge of the group and their capabilities.