1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to buy a milkshake when Tommy Robinson is in town?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 3, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yeah....

I think we all know where you are coming from now! ;)

2. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

You know nothing about me

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You have been very scrappy lately, Frank.

4. FrankWolley

You can think that if you like....;)

5. Vince_Ulam

What peculiar behaviour.

6. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

What is that supposed to mean?

7. FrankWolley

I won't patronise you by spelling it out.

8. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday. Fun as it has been there is some paint drying that needs my attention.

theselofane and lanokia like this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'd just like to make it clear I wasn't saying taxi drivers and takeaway staff were more likely to be involved in child exploitation. I was talking about the environment of the night-time economy. There is a police presence in towns and cities at night but it is a reduced presence. Likewise, there aren't as many people on the streets and as many places of safe refuge open.

Even in high summer it is getting dark by 10 p.m. By 2 a.m. there are even less people around and there is more likelihood that those people are either trying to get home or tired and possibly not as aware of their surroundings if they have been out drinking. There isn't the casual vigilance associated with daytime activities whereby parents would notice a child alone. Although I aren't myself a parent, I think parents tend to notice children alone because it triggers a thought that they wouldn't want their child out alone at that time.

Though I am seldom if ever out after dark these days, I recall a very different atmosphere in the early hours of the morning. There seemed to be a lot more lost and lonely people about and a great deal more vulnerability and anger.

10. Vince_Ulam

Oh, I see. You are falsely implying that @Abadie is someone else.

You are out of order, Frank.

artboyusa likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Paranoia levels on here now demand that any new poster is actually a returning troll come to stir up trouble. Probably because it's what the accuser would do.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Would tend to agree with you... I was in my local town centre on Friday and the number of homeless visible was disturbing (esp as we'd read Stone Cold in class that day) ... one woman was barefoot.

I write this and think "why didn't I offer to buy her shoes?" ... I always think of these things afterwards. Feel bad now.

13. Vince_Ulam

Has done, even.

14. FrankWolley

Not new though...that's the point. ;)

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's even more disturbing when you hear some statistics.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004smf

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I fell for that one once. A humane impulse but she already has shoes. She and her gang boss are counting on people's humanity and trying to play them.
    https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13260398.scam-warning-over-barefoot-begging-con/
    https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13270646.warning-scam-of-barefoot-begging/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/london/com...e_to_beggars_and_are/?st=jvk0l91m&sh=107cc2b1

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now it's fish.

Link

18. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oldham

George_Randle likes this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

He ain't the only one, there are at least five currently.