1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to buy a milkshake when Tommy Robinson is in town?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 3, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Abadie and artboyusa like this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-asians-we-dont-know-if-that-figure-is-right

The figure of 84% is only the opinion of one group following a study described by an expert on child sexual exploitation as “a case study in bad science: riddled with errors, inconsistencies, a glaring lack of transparency, sweeping claims and gross generalisations unfounded its own ‘data’”. The expert also called it "utter rubbish".

Critics have pointed out, however, that even a casual media search produces far more white perpetrators of group CSE who seem to have been ignored by Adil and Rafiq (authors of the Quilliam report).

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

This country has changed so much in my lifetime and one big factor is the night-time economy. For about a year I drove a taxi on nights around one of our major cities. I always tried to get out by 7 p.m. and finish by midnight by just getting stuck in and not taking breaks. I was quite lucky that I drove a seven seater hackney carriage and got loads of jobs that paid anything around £15.00 a time for about fifteen minutes work. I also got a lot of airport work and one airport run in a seven seater with a return pick up could make me the money for the night.

I wasn't keen on being out too late but occasionally I was out until 2 or 3 a.m. The city was still very much alive at that time. Although all my work came via a computer system from a control centre based in a village outside of the city there were many drivers who spent a lot of time sitting around in burger bars etc and there were smaller cab offices in the back streets of the city. There were a lot of all night cafes, takeaway and bars and I often saw young girls around the streets. I also met many prostitutes who used the taxi system as the lifeblood of their work. It's a seedy world and not one I wanted to be around at all. Not many people get the chance to observe the working of a town or city at night but from the driver's seat of a cab you get a good vantage point.

There's a lot of drunkenness and things that go on under the cloak of darkness. Loads of drugs, prostitution and abuse.

This is the environment that is so often referred to in some court cases. It does go on and few people who are decision makers in our society ever see it.

So I think one common factor in many of those court cases involving young girls being abused by gangs of men is the night-time economy which isn't policed as strenuously as the daytime economy.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think @Jude Fawley is right. I always thought it was more to do with them being taxi drivers than Muslims, not that all taxi drivers do this but they are in a perfect position to get involved if they should wish to. They can 'safely' offer young girls a lift on the one hand and punters looking for sex can ask a taxi driver to arrange it on the other. Again, not all taxi drivers, not all Muslims. In the 70s mini cabbing was dominated by West Indians, at least in South London where I was. Not all were pimps but some were. Previously, I think, Maltese cab drivers were involved. Not all Maltese, not all West Indians, not all taxi drivers.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

John Worboys springs to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Worboys

InkyP, chelsea2 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm supposing the day will come when Uber drivers will be under suspicion.

Not that I can see any reason why nefarious individuals would be attracted to the notion of picking up lone women late at night. Obviously.

InkyP likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

If this "rivers of milkshake" trend continues, it won't be long before most political discourse in our troubled islands starts to look like this:

artboyusa likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I have to admit, these small pop-up talks seem much more engaging than the large-scale organised demonstrations beloved of the major political parties.

At the mega-demos, the politicos have to entertain the audience while at these smaller affairs the audience itself provides the entertainment.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Thanks for all the fish.

[​IMG]

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  12. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

Very easily. Look at how far-left organisations try to shut down anyone considered right-wing. I don't mean far-right or people breaking the law but people stating facts about some of the problems in society and talking commonsense. This is the very definition of fascist, shutting down one's opponents. Look also at where most street violence comments from, antifa. Funded and supported by a certain international billionaire and the police frequently turning a blind eye to their violence. The new brownshirts of today.

13. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

If you watch the video of what happened, the guy that threw the milkshake acted like a violent street thug. Laughable how the media make him out to be the victim. Anyone would think he was the new Rosa Parks.

George_Randle likes this.
  14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hmm... 'Abadie' - joined TES in Jan 2014, but only 39 messages since then...now suddenly turns up on this thread.... ;)

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd be interested in a more in-depth study on the background of men involved in this crime.
    1. Proportion of offenders who are actually taxi drivers.
    2. Same for fast food outlets.
    3. Ratios of offenders by simplistic race-religious categories
    4. Ratios to surrounding populations (If Bradford is 30% Asian then offenders being 30% wouldn't surprise me for example)
    5. A study of motivating factors.

Seems like this just keeps going on...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Police-hunt-40-suspects-promise-arrests.html

If anyone knows of one then please let me know.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes his street chat videos have been proving popular... hence YouTube demonetising his channel and Twitter removing his campaigns Twitter account.

But that isn't interfering in an election of course... :rolleyes:

17. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

So what's your point? Am I not allowed to comment here?

theselofane and Vince_Ulam like this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What is your point, Frank?

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm wondering where you have been for the last 5 years and why you've suddenly woken from your self-imposed inaction to comment now.... and also why on this thread.

20. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

Lol none of your business

theselofane, artboyusa and Vince_Ulam like this.