1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 27, 2016.

1. scilady

scilady New commenter

[QUOTE="I gave up planning lessons years ago as usually the students would want to do something else when I arrived. You just need to be able to do any topic they want off the top of your head.[/QUOTE]
    I'd agree ...no reason to plan: just have to know the syllabus inside out and backwards which most teachers do not..I have picked up the bits after some appalling teaching...chemistry staff who cannot design coursework that pans out or do calculations on the board and that was in a grammar rated outstanding where kids need A* to make vet schools

Oldfashioned likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'd agree ...no reason to plan: just have to know the syllabus inside out and backwards which most teachers do not..I have picked up the bits after some appalling teaching...chemistry staff who cannot design coursework that pans out or do calculations on the board and that was in a grammar rated outstanding where kids need A* to make vet schools[/QUOTE]
    Not been in my classroom then?

3. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi @TCSC47 ,

Does the answer have to be NO?

Can you rise above the the bad behaviour of others?

I had to ban crime myself in my community as the police were not interested. I have a 'Free Workshops for Lazy Policemen' postcard if you would like one! Makes most people smile.

I walked away from the House of Commons once shaking my head in disbelief at Nick Gibb's lack of knowledge of education.

Accepting that others have failures is good for the soul. Think instead about the positives you can do.

Best Wishes

Kevin

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Hi Kevin,
    I have often read your posts in wonderment. Are you posting from a secure facility or are you merely an idealist?
    Simply rising above the failures of others to do your own little bit to improve the world, is a praiseworthy philosophy.

This philosophy will not do anything to redress the sometimes howling failures of others. These failures of people in positions of authority often are to the detriment of many. Society at some level chooses to ignore the failures and allow the many to be failed by those who accept a salary in the name of public service. I for one cannot simply accept that those in authority should get away with their failures. Simply walking away and taking the higher moral ground does not work for me. For me, that would mean allowing unjust situations to continue to exist. My conscience requires me to be a bit more proactive.

Go with what works for you Kevin. Power to your elbow.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Every best wish and I hope things work out well for you in your new school and the part time hours will take the pressure of you somewhat. One things for sure, life in schools doesn't seem like it's going to get an easier and even the nicer schools may well start to be less nice as the cuts bite ever deeper. Use the breathing space you've got in your part time job to consider where your future lies.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Should be compulsory viewing for those considering a teaching career. I would suggest it as compulsory viewing for members of the government but they would probably dismiss it as lefty BBC propaganda.

hammie and agathamorse like this.
  7. adam156

adam156 New commenter

I left the classroom about 5 years ago to work in the private sector and I would definitely not go back. As much as I loved it, there's nothing that would tempt me back.

Watching this government systematically hack away at the education system has has me in despair and seen the quality of teaching really decline, and with friends who still teach telling me their horror stories about students and administrations it's enough to make me never want to enter a classroom again.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  8. VictoriaGoshal

VictoriaGoshal New commenter

I wish to be a teahcer someday but now I am engaged in a research about L-Phenylalanine Enzyme for Creative Enzymes.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I followed that link and found:

In enzymology, a phenylalanine decarboxylase (EC 4.1.1.53) is an enzyme that catalyzes the chemical reaction:L-phenylalanine↔ phenylethylamine + CO2. Hence, this enzyme has one substrate, L-phenylalanine, and two products, phenylethylamine and CO2. This enzyme belongs to the family of lyases, specifically the carboxy-lyases, which cleave carbon-carbon bonds. This enzyme participates in phenylalanine metabolism. It employs one cofactor, pyridoxal phosphate.

If you're going to leave links can you make sure they're in English please? (;))

agathamorse likes this.