1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

The PGCE put me off, and I did not do my NQT year- I went back to my old job, feeling rather disappointed by the whole year. I was constantly dismayed by the attempts to turn me into some kind of Cub Scout game leader rather than a teacher of a subject, infuriated by the university's insistence that things that worked in practice were wrong because they didn't match the theory, and eventually decided not to bother after an interview where I was treated with total disrespect (I can cope with being a ballast candidate, but at least try not to treat the ballast candidates with total contempt from the minute that we walk in).

TCSC47, drek, Shedman and 4 others like this.
  2. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

[​IMG]
    This would stop me from becoming a teacher again.

drek, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I am returning to teaching. Not in the UK though.

drek and Shedman like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?
    I had this exact conversation on Saturday with 3 other very experienced Secondary Teachers. 3 out of 4 said NO!

drek, agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Back in the 90s and 0s, it was a good job and well-paid. Now, it is horrible and everything is being rundown and done on the cheap with endless amounts of non-teaching red tape the order of the day. It's too stressful and angst-ridden, by the time you get into your 40s, you are both burnt out and likely to be 'moved on', you have to sacrifice large parts of your social and family life to do the job, your own children and family come second, and it's also become quite a dangerous job in many schools, with accusations easy to throw at a teacher and violence not unknown. Who wants to teach in a school where every day is a battle with behaviour for a poor hourly rate?

eljefeb90, TCSC47, henrypm0 and 4 others like this.
  6. DoctorLecter

DoctorLecter New commenter

i'd give anything to go back in time and change the decision I made to go into teaching. I went into it to have a meaningful, worthwhile career in the service of others. 16 years later, I feel that my mental and physical health will never recover. This job has ruined my life.

TCSC47, henrypm0, agathamorse and 4 others like this.
  7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I do some supply now and again as I have taken my pension. I have seen different schools over several years now. Not one would I have been happy as an NQT.

I would not become a full time permanent teacher again or recommend teaching to anyone. It is not the same job as when I started and shows no indication of improving for those trapped in it.

8. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

I qualified in 1985 and was one of those very fortunate teachers to experience teaching when we were totally trusted to create and deliver a curriculum for children that was based on their needs, their progress and their abilities. The word 'assessment' did not feature in our daily lives as teachers - we had no boxes to tick, no targets for headteachers and governments, just a commitment to the children to do our very best for them in an engaging, stimulating environment. 'Burn out' did not exist, the children came first and teaching was a pleasure.
    I left teaching full time many years ago, do occasional supply work now and never regret leaving. It's so sad that my generation, with all our experience, became so disillusioned as, year by year, we saw children's needs being pushed further and further down the ladder.

TCSC47, agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Teacher and student needs pushed down but the needs of project managers, roles with responsibilities, Ofsted, consultants all pushed up way beyond bearable amounts in the system.
    The imbalance was bound to come to a crash at some point. Some predicted this 4 years ago but were scoffed at by those stampeding their way up.

TCSC47, Sir_Henry and agathamorse like this.
  10. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

Not after watching "School" on BBC2 this evening. What an absolute mess education is really in!

11. schoolsout4summer

"It's so sad that my generation, with all our experience".
    Experience is of little value in today's schools.

12. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I watched this after your recommendation. I think it should be compulsory viewing for all parents. It is not the school that I work at but apart from the faces, it could have been. It gives a pretty honest insight into what secondary schools are really like.

Shedman, henrypm0 and agathamorse like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

This is very sad. Are you still teaching or have you found something less stressful?

14. murphymaxine

murphymaxine New commenter

15. murphymaxine

murphymaxine New commenter

I left teaching, for 6 months in 2013 after 15 years in FE and Sixth Form College. I had worked my way up from Part Lecturer to Head of Dept. & Curriculum Manager and I can truly say the first 8 or 9 years were very happy ones - relaxed atmosphere, good results, open and transparent communication - great.
    Very quickly the profession began to change; good became not good enough, pressures and workloads spiralled and consecultive new Heads aspired to putting ‘their mark’ on the establishment, at whatever cost to their staff.....and academisation just meant everything became ‘corporate and business-like’ and scrunyinised at every turn. We were professional teachers and decision makers no more. Teachers were basically cloned; individualism, radical classroom experimentation and creativity were all dirty words and wouldn’t be tolerated!! Our professionalism undermined forever.
    All the responsibility for learning was dumped squarely on the teacher’s doorstep, allowing students to ‘blame’ teachers for their own failings, sending out the wrong message for learner’s futures in College, University and life in general.
    Furthermore, results driven data has become the only measure teachers are judged on... the distant students have ‘travelled’ in their learning is of no consequence anymore, if they haven’t been able to secure a qualification at the end if it.....and let’s face it, we know that many students will never be able to access our in-flexible system, never mind achieve, due to a plethora of social and medical issues.
    If results were good you were left alone; if they fell short of the mark you were persecuted, put on ‘capability’, lessons observed every two minutes and pressured so much that you began to question your own ability. Mental and physical health would suffer as you were already giving 110% and consequently there was nothing left to give.
    This is the sort of information potential trainees should be exposed to, not those silly, misleading, untruthful adverts on the TV. Then then perhaps they could make an informed decision about their future.
    This said, financial needs made me come back into teaching as an Intervention Teacher PT, which I have loved; helping the teacher with disruptive students and low level learners both inside and outside the classroom. I loved tnis role because I took very little work home, no marking or prep ( I had my life & health back and said I wasn’t going to let that go again) and I loved the one to one interaction. I felt it really made a difference to students. The role ended and now I’m an HLTA; get 35% less £ per hour and teach 11 classes myself over 3 days and support 2 on minimum wage. The prep is ridiculous and can’t be done in the 2 hours allocated. I am sorry that I am undermining the teacher’s role, allowing myself to be paid so little, but I needed the job.Once again my evenings are taken up with prep and marking - not a great scenario but its only for a year!!!
    HEALTH WARNING: Teaching now is a lifestyle, it will take over your life if you let it. It will contribute to relationship break ups and physical and mental health breakdowns. Employers are not interested in you as a person, they are only interested your RESULTS!!

Shedman, eljefeb90, TCSC47 and 7 others like this.
  16. DoctorLecter

DoctorLecter New commenter

Thanks Gainly; I'm taking some time out, thanks to a wonderfully supportive partner, and will be going back into teaching part time next year at a different (nicer) school, until I figure out what i'm going to do with my life. It's weird being out of work - I've always worked full time and have never had a break in employment before. But it's going to take some time to repair the damage. I have several friends who have left the country to teach overseas - they rave about how brilliant it is being out of the UK system.

agathamorse and henrypm0 like this.
  17. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 New commenter

I would teach again (I'm still teaching but off witn WRS which is a hell of a story that's waiting to be told, but I mean when I eventually get out) but I'd go back to 2001 -06 ish. The profession is full of bluffers, some who are exec heads, heads etc. The MATS are businesses in the disguise of schools. We have three HT for two schools, utter bs and all the time these to!!ers get rid of older teachers or try to. The profession is finished, or if not it's dying and in need of major organ transplants!

18. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I hope you find something that suits you. I make a reasonable living from private tuition which allows me to actually teach children who generally want to learn without all the other pointless rubbish.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  19. schoolsout4summer

Would I be tempted, knowing what I know now about the "profession"?
    No.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I am a retired secondary and FE teacher who had HoD responsibilities. Like many here I thoroughly enjoyed the early part of my career in the 80's. Having worked outside education, I have always found the education industry to treat its workforce with contempt and disregard, compared to what I had been used to, but the fun and fulfilment of teaching let me overlook that and I managed for 25 years whilst I saw my schools crumble around me due to the maggoty politicians attempting to climb their greasy poles using the backs of teachers. In my retirement I am open for things to fill my time and I have been asked to return due to the lack of teachers skilled in my subjects but the answer is, of course, NO!.

Shedman, Sir_Henry and agathamorse like this.