1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 27, 2016.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?
    No, it's a waste of a good Degree.

BetterNow and Compassman like this.
  2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

As someone who has moved from teaching into the rail industry (not train driving) I know how much money can be earned for A LOT less work.

BetterNow and Shedman like this.
  3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

In one word Rosaline: Yes. I wanted to be a teacher after my first day at school and although I've worked in many different areas, to gain the experience I needed to teach my subjects in Further Education, I always felt I was in the right place when I was teaching. Now, writing poetry for children as I do, I travel via skype to classrooms worldwide to meet the children who tell me they love my poems - and for many of them, English is a second language - and when I arrive in their classrooms and am with them, I am in heaven. For me teaching was my vocation. Teaching in Further Education, though, I didn't have the disciplinary problems that many teachers get today. My students came to me because they wanted to pass their exams and get work at the end of their course. Far from having to encourage them to work, they worked and worked and worked and would often bring in extra work that they'd done at home. This attitude to learning makes teaching much easier of course. I was, therefore, lucky.

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

I don't imagine they would want me back , as I was always only ever there for the kids, and everything else was of secondary importance at best. :oops:

Besides, I no longer have the spare time, as I am teaching myself to tap dance on quicksand. Difficult, and frustrating at times, but easier than what I was being asked to do in the classroom.:rolleyes:

slingshotsally likes this.