1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble New commenter

I am not in education. I am lucky, as a scientist, that I have the right background to apply to other industries.

2. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble New commenter

Yes! I also still feel guilty that I'm not taking loads of work home and my departure from education was a while ago now. I really ought to stop coming on here, too! I won't work anywhere where I am not respected now; I'm not stupid, I've got a couple of degrees and I work hard. I was a decent teacher but not perhaps as conventional as some SLT could deal with. Still got good results. Nevertheless, I had my confidence chipped away by SLT with nothing to offer themselves.

3. cycomiz

cycomiz New commenter

If that is my profession, I love to back teaching and be the kids and teach them with all my heart.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

If you've got a good GCSE in Maths, the world is your oyster!

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Agreed, the GCSE tuition is hardest and most banal of all. The great thing about eleven and thirteen plus coaching is that there's is still huge local variation between what the schools want, a good tutor can see and respond to this, devising fun creative writing lessons which are not dissimilar from gcse but mercifully AO free! I find tutoring like a small select mini school of eight to thirteens, with me teaching them fun and varied vocabulary and creative writing. It's about enthusing and encouraging whereas schools are becoming more about bullying and demoralising. Staff or kids, take your pick.

6. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

I found teaching so difficult yet so rewarding. I am back in the lab but I consently think about my time teaching and the huge amount I learnt. I would consider going back it is very rewarding but also very stressful ..... hard question to answer

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. saluki

saluki Established commenter

If I was a bit younger I would do a law conversion course and go into law. I think I may look at a a bit of private tuition. At the moment I am doing another year of teaching but I may change my mind during the year. Love teaching, love it when kids who try hard succeed, love it when I identify a problem which has prevented kids from achieving in the past. Hate bad behaviour, hate having to be polite to kids who are shouting and swearing at me, hate stupid 'new' innovations and the latest teaching fads. If it ain't broke why fix it? Next term we have to play music at the beginning of the lesson in order to get students in the mood for learning :D

Anonymity likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Be a teacher? If I had my time over?

giphy-15.gif

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If I was back in 2001 knowing what I know now?

Hmmm tough one. Unlikely but the positives are stronger than the negatives. I just never had a clue what i'd do otherwise...

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

That came around again quickly! We were doing 'Mozart for learning' only 12 - 15 years ago. With some classes, it might be better to play then the Edgar Broughton Band, to drown out their noise.

saluki, nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I think I would despite one rubbish job. Current one good, in my 5th year is a real laugh with a mixed gender and age group for a small primary. No NQTs.

12. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Ironically, despite my strong feelings at the start of the thread I am teaching again now.

storifiedart and SomethingWicked like this.
  13. storifiedart

storifiedart New commenter

I wouldn't return to full-time teaching now as I honestly couldn't balance it with the rest of my life. The demands of the role are just not even remotely compatible with family life anymore (for me, at least - hats off to those of you who juggle both, you have my utmost respect). It's a real shame because I adored being a teacher in its rawest form - actually teaching and working with the children. Just the rest of it....I'm sure I don't need to elaborate really as you'll all know what I mean I suppose. I just couldn't do it without compromising my sanity and/or family dynamic to breaking point I don't think.

14. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

Not a chance*. Leaving teaching was the best thing I ever did. I still love explaining things to people, but the slightest lack of appreciation on their part stops me in my tracks. I like sharing what I've learned, and helping people avoid wasting all the time that I did, when I was figuring something out, but inspiring others and sharing knowledge isn't an objective of schools these days. Of course individual teachers would still like to teach, but at some sufficiently high level of management and higher (all the way up to government), the idea that there should be some "educating" going on is at best quaint, and more likely purely fanciful. Of course this is just my opinion...

I used to do a lot of private tuition, and I almost always enjoyed that. I might possibly do a bit after I've retired, but only if I find myself short of cash.

I occasionally have dreams where I'm back teaching, and I've got to go off to some class, where I can't remember anyone's name, and (needless to say) they're badly behaved. And I think in the dream "what on earth am I doing here? Did I accept this job in a moment of madness? What about my current job? They're not going to be happy. How can I get out of this teaching situation I now find myself in?"

It's always a huge relief to wake up from these dreams.

I would also not recommend teaching (i.e. "being a teacher in a school") to anyone. Quite the contrary, I actively discourage it. In other parts of the world, where teachers are appreciated (and I'm led to believe that there are such places), my feelings would be different.

Just for the record, I left three years after obtaining my PGCE (in a shortage subject).

[* I knew I'd heard this from some film or other - I could imagine the actor saying it. I've just remembered; it's from "Dial M for Murder", when Swann learns that the intended date is the following evening.]

Compassman likes this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

Hi @Billie73

What happened?

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've all had that dream Emanuel

I used to have a recurring one when I couldn't find my classroom and I wandered around endless corridors getting more and more lost.

But then I never did have a particularly good sense of direction.

peggylu likes this.
  17. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

I needed a job and this one fell into my lap. I worked there previously in a different role and loved it. There's a big focus on wellbeing and everyone seems happy (I still have friends there from before so know this is true).

It's not mainstream and it's nothing like my old school. I would never have gone back if it wasn't this particular school. It's a 1 year contract. If it's not extended I won't be applying for other teaching roles. I have no plans on teaching anywhere other than this school. Ever.

18. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

I qualified in 1967 and retired with relish recently. I remember feeling sorry for, and empathy with, young entrants more than 15 years ago and continually ever since. Isn't it telling how many wouldn't go back into teaching if they had their time again?? Does that not speak volumes?

19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Indeed it does speak volumes. So many are being pushed out by excessive hours and bullying.

Teaching should be so rewarding but for many it is just a chore.

If they offered me double the pay I was getting I would not return.

20. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

nope, I'd apply to drive trains for more money, less hours and even paid overtime! Oh an no need to spend 4 years getting a degree first either.

Xericist and Compassman like this.