1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Up to 2010 it was a very rewarding and mostly enjoyable job. Then Gove arrived..Ironically, I have now got 18 kids a week and every parent says that I am looking after their academic, pastoral and exam needs better than their main teachers! They email the school but are left waiting. Requests never even acknowledged. This is insane, I only have most for an hour a week. It is so so bad in some schools, I wonder why the parents aren't sueing or going to the papers. Unfairly excluded kids who are gifted and talented, or just very frustrated lads who should have been handled from within the system, or kids who've been unwell...all excluded. Two strikes and you're out is nothing. Even worse, at least three local academies didn't need bother to set their students both English and English Lit mocks together last year as the poor teachers felt it was too much marking. Maybe. They could have adapted workload, tough, surely? I am now having to rush through whole topics when the mock results are not yet back in MARCH. Too many inexperienced, exhausted and demoralised teachers.

schoolsout4summer and eljefeb90 like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm tutoring a student right now and having to plug a lot of gaps because of their regular teachers rushing through material too quickly (or not at all). I discovered tutoring three years ago and I reckon I could make a go at it full time around here if I really wanted to.

needabreak, Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It is the same with my students. I give the same sort of science lessons that was given fifty years ago, and you can see the light going on in their heads. Often they say, "Why didn't they tell us that, I would have understood it then."

Mrsmumbles, Shedman and Anonymity like this.
  4. bobpite

bobpite New commenter

It's all very well having tutoring to fall back on but what about us woodwork teachers (never got used to D and T)?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

If you have over fifteen years of pension, I'd say go for it. You can't go out carousing after six, and I workmweekends as they pay so well, but other than that, it's the same pay, pure teaching, and half the hours you'd do in school. I was UPS.

6. Mrsmumbles

Exactly, their teachers are too busy poncing around differentiating through interactive colour themed and funkily designed computer Whiteboard programmes, or filming each other on iPads, or Generally Wasting Time And Being Right Honking Eejits. You need a truly progressive school to enable kids to learn that flexibly. Otherwise, it descends into chaos with little kids irritating teachers by photographing and filming out of turn, and overworked teachers- possibly the third that set has had in one year- having to cram it all in at the last minute. One lad and I have just realised that their school has forgotten to deliver the last text. Oh wonderful. I earns my shekels, I tell you!

saluki and schoolsout4summer like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I reckon I'll teach full time for another 2 or 3 years and then I'll wind down. I have some years of pension built up and I have other potential income streams to consider. I've seem what happens to teachers who go "right to the end". I don't want to go down that path.

Let's face it - education in this country is heading straight off the cliff.

Shedman, dleaf12, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  8. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

I thought that too... but now I've decided to go sooner. Want my life back and also starting to find the classroom less enjoyable. Totally agree about not hanging on grimly to the end - its time to go while I can still do the job well.

needabreak, lardylegs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

If I could turn the clock back and teach the same students as I taught over the years and teach the same subjects which I loved, well yes, I'd do it all over again willingly, but if I had to put up with one bit of the trouble that many who come to this website seem to have, well, no I would not.

10. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

The difference is the 1:1 ratio. It's totally unlike having a class of 30. It's why school can be so ineffective at ensuring progress. I've done tutoring, and also noticed from helping my own children at home, that the progress you can make in an hour can be worth 10 in the classroom.

needabreak, yodaami2 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Serendipitously, since I don't come here often, I spoke today to teacher who left the school I presently work at a year after I started because his wife said she'd leave him if he didn't.

He turned up as a supply (his first subject French but in for physics) and said the dosh and w/l balance made it work.

Is that a recruitment slogan?

12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Established commenter

Wow, this is a busy thread. Just got in ( marking!). So haven't managed to read it. I love teaching. I hate what the job has become though. I would do it again if it was the 1980s, then I would go to Australia, they really needed teachers in the late 80s early 90s. Or I'd go private.

13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Established commenter

Lol, thought it was a new thread! That's what 5 hours of marking after a full day's teaching does to your reasoning!

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I certainly enjoy teaching a lot less than I did because it's not about the students anymore - it's all about meeting targets and being blamed for it if your students don't make them.

.....and it won't get any better, these new GCSEs are appalling.

Anonymity likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, I totally agree. The new single title GCSE in Technology )all boards) is a real dogs dinner of bits and pieces picked from the previous specialities of graphics, resistant materials, electronic products, system and control and so on. There is no coherence or overall 'shape' to the course just bits from here and bits from there. The topics are a* se achingly, mind numbingly dull with titles like 'paper and board', enterprise, sustainability, natural and manufactured timbers, levers and gears and so on. As a course, it is absolutely appalling and having taught this old rubbish for the first half term of this academic year I decided I'd had enough and handed in my resignation. I retire at the end of the academic year. We had a DT student teacher (a very rare breed!) with us last term and she despaired that there was so little to get one's teeth into in the workshop and the amount of content meant that the practical work, the stuff the students really enjoy, has had to be cut right back. She was thinking of calling it a day and she'd only done part of a term.

This unutterably wretched course is yet another nail in the coffin of creative subjects in schools. I absolutely despair!

16. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble New commenter

I won't go back, and I was one of the shortage subject teachers. I am enjoying my new job immensely. Nobody has told me I am stupid, unemployable, lazy or incompetent in this new role. They seem to have employed me because I am good at my subject and have skills.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

as a point of interest Fizzbobble are you in education or elsewhere?
    Please.

18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed, but we are stuck with an outdated babysitting model in state schools, where rules are rules and bells are bells.

19. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

I would be not back to secondary. I'd like to give primary a go, as working with them through university Outreach I just think I'd enjoy teaching my subject more and develop personally. I plan on having a young family soon so I can't ignore the holidays and I'm disciplined enough to make sure I do sod all in them. Perhaps a little grass is always greener but I'm minded. Really enjoy having evenings though and I still have time in schools and classrooms.

20. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's one of the most noticeable differences.

Not being told you need "support" for the most minor of errors.

Now told that I work too hard which is an odd feeling as I think I'm slacking compared to teaching.

Anonymity likes this.