1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be tempted to become a teacher again?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 27, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure how many of you have left the profession in recent years, but now that you have had some time away from the classroom would you ever consider teaching again? Would you ever be tempted back? I'm curious to know especially now when there are so many controversial plans and changes in the education industry. What would persuade you to come back? Have you already made the decision to go back into teaching, are you glad to be back in the classroom again?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm now retired, but I would certainly do it again (and hope I'm better second time round).

But, you see, when on my PGCE I took the decision not to work in the state sector - something I never, ever regretted.

dunnocks, yodaami2, JeannieMc and 4 others like this.
  3. TES_Rosaline

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I loved teaching, but the constant, inept mismanagement of the state system by a succession of arrogant amateurs from Baker onwards made it increasingly difficult to do the best for the pupils and turned the profession into joyless drudgery. Add the barking incompetence of Woodhead and Wilshaw, and the proverbial wild horses would not drag me back.

5. TES_Rosaline

Thank you @delnon for your response.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Many of the longer serving teachers wouldn't be interviewed for jobs anyway. It's been my experience and that of many others that schools are not hiring expensive, experienced teachers. There are exceptions but it's a clear trend.

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

nope, never in a million years. I still work in education but if I were made redundant it would be early retirement for me.

yodaami2, TCSC47, Sinnamon and 3 others like this.
  8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

9. TES_Rosaline

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

For most of my career I loved my job and thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent with the children. The latter years though were not so happy. I realised that the demands made on teachers were just not for me and so I left. I did go back for a short time on a temporary contract and all that did was confirm I was right to leave in the first place. I would never go back to classroom teaching again.

I do some voluntary work with the local music hub and really enjoy being with the children but without any of the demands, responsibilities and expectations of paid work.

11. TES_Rosaline

Thank you @marlin for your honesty as well. It's interesting that you went back to the profession for a short time and that this confirmed that you had made the right decision to leave.

12. TES_Rosaline

Would you recommend teaching to anyone else?

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I wouldn't now, even though I enjoyed most of my time as a teacher. Too many negative changes.

14. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Never in a million years. The thought of going back into a classroom makes me feel sick.

selbelle, cissy3, JeannieMc and 4 others like this.
  15. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Ditto second paragraph - but, would definitely not go back teaching. Have been asked to do supply but no way. No amount of money would be enough.

JeannieMc, guinnesspuss and Shedman like this.
  16. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

And I wouldn't wish a career in teaching on anyone. Except maybe Nicky Morgan & Michael Gove.

17. TES_Rosaline

JeannieMc likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Like many posters above I was passionate about teaching and never regretted my decision to become a teacher. I always said it was part of my personality.

Having said that however, during the past 10 years I have watched a truly wonderful profession fade into a data-driven job, which few, either students or teachers seem to enjoy. Teaching was different when I trained and began my career. It was all about the children/students. Whatever was best for them and we were trusted to be allowed to follow that.

I would no longer recommend teaching as a career path. I think I've said before, to former students in training or wanting to be, that I would say, "Give teaching your best shot. We desperately need teachers passionate about what they do, BUT plan to do it for no more than 10-15 years and have a get-out strategy or alternative career path in place for when you 'hit the wall'.

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I wouldn't go back, and I'd be very honest if one of my children considered going into teaching. In practice that would probably mean teach only in an independent school, abroad or (perhaps) a grammar school in England.

Sad state of affairs...

20. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

nope I wouldnt recommend it to anyone else, and that saddens me, 15 years ago I probably would have done.