1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be happy to email your planning to your TA?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Twinkles, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Mine has suddenly told the Head that she want me to do this, despite the fact that my weekly plans all go on the board in my room - A3 size - first thing on Monday morning. I don't see the need to do this, especially as I'm often still planning past midnight on a Sunday so she wouldn't see them any sooner! It's not as if she needs to prepare for Monday, as I always get all my own resources, photocopying etc.
    I have a 'difficult' working relationship with her, so I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable (suspect I might be).
    Does anyone out there do this? Are there any advantages?

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Mine has suddenly told the Head that she want me to do this, despite the fact that my weekly plans all go on the board in my room - A3 size - first thing on Monday morning. I don't see the need to do this, especially as I'm often still planning past midnight on a Sunday so she wouldn't see them any sooner! It's not as if she needs to prepare for Monday, as I always get all my own resources, photocopying etc.
    I have a 'difficult' working relationship with her, so I just want to know if I'm being unreasonable (suspect I might be).
    Does anyone out there do this? Are there any advantages?

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My CT will often email her plans to me aswell as having them on the wall. I find it is helpful to know what I will be doing before I arrive in school.

4. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I have worked in a school where the TA's were coming to planning meetings and as HLTA's were responsible for planning their own PPAcover lessons. They were then expected to email teachers their planning and we were expected to email them ours (3 form entry primary)

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

You know how you like to have your plan and know exactly what you'll be doing? Maybe she feels the same. Maybe she's a bit lacking in confidence. I'd love to know in advance what's happening in the classes where I'm supporting (I'm secondary so it's different for me). I think this will be happening more and more now because of OFSTED.
    If it's not a problem for you to email the plan, why not go ahead and do it? At least she'll know how late you were working to complete it. She may access her email from home before she goes to school so she can feel prepared and relaxed.
    It's good that you've asked for other's opinions and not just refused to do it.

6. I actually think you're quite lucky...in my school if I emailed any of our TAs with work they'd put in formal complaints about being harrassed and over worked. Not joking by the way. Just tell her she can have it first thing monday and if she feels that seeing it at 8:30 isn't soon enough invite her in at 8:15!

7. I've been both a TA and a teacher and as a TA I didn't have a problem with having plans first thing on a Monday. To me it sounds like she's trying to be awkward especially as she went to the head rather than talking to you about it. I would explain that you are more than happy to email her your plans when they are complete but that you are often planning until very late at night (and why shouldn't you it's up to you how you use your time at weekends, you could be waiting until you get peace and quiet at home) so it may well be after midnight when they are sent. You could make her an extra copy of your plans rather than her having to refer to the ones on the wall. I found it helpful as a TA to have my own copy and I find it very useful when my TA writes notes on my plans (things that worked well, things she's noticed etc). It could be that there may be things on the plans she doesn't understand but doesn't get a chance to ask on a busy Monday morning - not that it would really make a difference if she had them the night before.

8. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

I am secondary but have made it a habit of emailing my planning to the relevant TA. Last year's loved it; she printed everything out (although I had already!) and was really interested in both short term and long term plans for the group. I even involved her in some.
    This year's TA turns up late, or not at all, and makes no acknowledgement of the plans.
    Liz

9. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I am expected to give my TA's my long and mid-term planning at the beginning of each term and then email/photocopy lesson plans for them when I have written them - like posters above, if this means they do not open their email till 8.30 Monday morning, tough! Reality of teaching is that we do work late... especially Sunday nights when we have attempted to have a balanced home-life!

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Scenario 1:
    TA: Headmaster, I want Ms X to email lesson plans to me
    Scenario 2:
    Head to TA: Ms Y, OFSTED want teachers to utilise and involve their TAs more. Do you think it would be helpful if Ms X emailed you her lesson plans on a Friday evening so that you can have a look at them over the weekend?
    Head to teacher: Ms Y has just been to see me and said that she wants you to email your lesson plans to her.
    Scenario 3:
    Head to TA: The new OFSTED standards state that Teachers should show how they are using their TA's. Is there anything that might help you to be more involved so that you can ensure that Ms X gets outstanding when they visit us in September? (the TAs where I work were all asked this question and the response was to suggest having lesson plans emailed to us)
    TA: Erm ......... maybe if I saw the lesson plans at the weekend? Ms X is brilliant at displaying them in the classroom but I suppose I could give up some of my weekend to have a quick look if you feel that this is necessary as I really want Ms X to get outstanding as she is such a brilliant and supportive teacher.
    The fact is, OFSTED do want teachers to involve their TAs and you will be asked how you are doing this. If you are not involving and utilising your TA you won't get outstanding. It really doesn't matter when you send the email. Just let the TA know when you do your planning and explain that the email will be in her inbox by the time she gets to work on Monday morning.

11. I email my TA my weekly plans and then every morning I give her TA sheets for every lesson in which I've clearly broken down her role, noted the children I wish her to support, list of resources/key words needed for activity and guidance for how to do this (eg how much support/what strategies to emphasise). The TA then notes next to each child A/PA/NA for their achievement and any notes I need to prepare for the next lesson- this way it becomes a 2 way process.
    Works for me- no one has said it's too much/too little- only time it doesn't work is if I am ill as I usually fill in the TA sheets the evening before after reviewing that day but 9/10 it does the job.
    All our planning is also on central drive so anyone who wanted to see it could really (if theyre that interested lol)

12. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I don't and mine would not expect me to. I always give her an extra copy of the planners that are hers and she keeps them in her area for reference. Every morning I go through what she will be doing for the day. Works for us and we are both very happy with how it is going

13. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

i would not mind at all, it would save me printing out an extra copy!

However, if she asking for them purely to be difficult then I would sit down and ask why she needs the specifically in electronic form.