1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you be happy about this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mkssbelton89, May 1, 2019.

1. Mkssbelton89

Mkssbelton89 New commenter

I teach yr 3. The school have cut lunchtime down from 55 mins to 35 mins meaning we now have a 2 hr 45 mins afternoon ideas and opinions?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sympathies. When I taught in Independent, where long afternoons are common, I found those long afternoons quite tough, as the children got tired. We had had 3hr and 10 min afternoons with a 40 min lunch break.

Can you plan in an afternoon break? Or is that not-allowed? Colleagues got together and planned one each afternoon. Meant we were on duty, but gave the children time to run around/ switch off, which they needed.

I used to have 2 one hour lessons eg Art / DT/ Geog/ History, etc., so could be combined on alternate weeks if we needed longer sessions, broken up with something like a half hour PSHE / MFL / RE / Music which could be continued on another afternoon session. I also used to find the children more restless if they hadn't had a long enough ;run around' at lunch break, so some 'brain break activities as and when needed to fill those extra mins between one lesson and the next.

3. Mkssbelton89

Mkssbelton89 New commenter

Hi , that is my plan to do the more practical lessons in the afternoon. Not allowed to implement a break .

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

Blimey. Do you have time to eat and set up for the afternoon? That would be my worry.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

"Not allowed to implement a break"

Hmm.... but, thinking about the pupils' mental health, I am sure you could include some "brain reset time" which could involve going outside and soaking up some sunshine? Also what about the Daily Mile? We do that in the afternoon, to give KS2 a bit of a break...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

Their parents are likely to complain about that. There will be slow eaters who simply don't get time to finish. What about staff lunch arrangements? Have your lunches also been cut short? They may be going over directed time.

Also, have they done any consultation on this?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

It’s very harsh for you, barely long enough to eat, pop to the toilet, and get prepared (mentally and practically) for the afternoon. My school has an hour for lunch and the children are so much better after a decent run around.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! That's a huge reduction.
    More teaching hours, but less effective hours will be the result.
    A very short sighted move.

9. thefairyteacher

thefairyteacher New commenter

Would I be happy - no. So many reasons why.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

They can’t do this without affecting directed hours. So you must be gaining time somewhere else?

BetterNow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

I don't get this - so many questions. So they have a longer day in class? You have more contact hours?!

Are you required to teach more of the traditional curriculum? What is the rationale?

Practically - how about creative curriculum, activities for team work, resilience and mindfulness? Could you also plan for short interventions to overlap this time? I once worked at an outstanding school which somehow fit in an hour creative curriculum each Friday - dance, art, cooking, planting, crafts. There're also reports about a school which devoted 30m daily to reading - outstanding practice apparently.

Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.