1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you appoint someone with no senior leadership experience to be DHT?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Neklesa, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Can you skip being an AHT and move straight to be deputy dawg?

2. I wouldn't, just opinion really.
    I went from 1 year of HoD to assistant head. I think going to DHT would have been to much of a big jump for me.

3. I went from 2 years of HOD and then to AHT, but a colleague thnks they can go straight from HOY to DHT. I would of thought it would be unlikely too

4. I start my AHT role in September. Not actually sure how I got the job!
    It's in a lovely local school in a nice little village, I applied as interview practise!

5. Primary or secondary?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was going to ask that as well. In primary it is fairly routine to go straight to DH, maybe with some year leader experience, but not always. In small schools there is no chance for leadership experience before DH.

7. It is secondary, and they work in a very large school. I think it is mad, I pointed out to them the bit of the PS that says substantial experience of senior leadership as essential, but they are still applying. They think that because they won a teaching award that that is the same as experience.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think you might just have to leave them to it. It isn't really something you can advise on unless they ask. If they get nowhere then they get nowhere. If they get the post then they get the post.

HOY is leadership experience isn't it?