1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you apply for this job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jules2001, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I am just curious to know if any teachers would apply for a job in a school that is in Special Measures and is about to become an Academy.

2. nacca

nacca New commenter

I recently started in a special measures school. Hard work, relentless pressure, observations, learning walks, fortnightly book scrutiny, planning scrutiny, feeling of mistrust. All classrooms look the same (smt specified what they wanted to see), lessons had to be the same (3 part with mini plenaries). Creativity gone. Feeling watched all the time. I can understand why the school responded like this - but I have never felt such as rubbish teacher! I'm sure others will think differently!
    Academy just over the horizon for us too! In short: think carefully!

3. RUFree

RUFree New commenter

Depends on job situation
    If unemployed with no or few other jobs on horizen then possibly.
    If already in a job then definately not - There is a limit on just how difficult you need to make your life, and opting into Special Measures is a step too far.
    Bad enough if you're in a school that goes in, but at least you know the school and have a support network in place.
    Just coming out after nearly 2 years - not an experience to repeat. The post above sounds horribly familiar! Not to forget sweeping changes coming in overnight only to be replaced by more sweeping changes the next term. Often in complete circles..... especially assessment and now Guided reading.
    But if you like a challenge!

4. I understand that not everybody has a positive experience in a school in special measures but I would like to give a different opinion.
    I joined a school that had gone in to special measures as a senior teacher so the pressure was definatley on but it was the best move I ever made!
    The school had a new head and a couple of new teachers and the team knew we were working together for a shared goal of coming out of special measures. The new head was fantastic and led the school well through this time. The work was tough but I can honestly say it was no harder than the school I left which was working relentlesly to become outstanding.
    There were regular book and planning scrutinies, fornightly lesson observations and the expectation that progress had to be good or outstanding in order to provide the best for the children. I was happy to work to this as I knew the impact it would have on the lives of the children.
    The school came out of special measures in record time (after only 3 monitoring visits and in only 15 months) and I am proud to have been part of this.
    It has made me a better teacher and stronger senior leader and I can say that my children have and many others acros the school have made outstanding progress in this time. We are still under threat of becoming an academy, though due to our progress we are hoping we may hold it off for a while yet but who knows what Mr. Gove will do next!
    I know that it is not like that in every school that goes into special measures but I would say my experience was positive and it was the best career move I could have made.
    Hope this view has been helpful.

5. Hi

Thanks very much for your comments. I am currently working in this school and we have 2 teachers leaving, both were leaving before we went into SM. I am just concerned that we may not be able to replace them. We will just have to wait and see.

Also, we need a Head teacher too!

6. Exactly the same as my school. Oh, apart from the fact that we are <u>not</u> in special measures.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Please, please, please...
    It's not definately or definatley
    It's definitely