1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you apply for a job at a school that has recently been in special measures?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by petrapan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. The school has an OFSTED rating of 4 but is under a fresh start scheme and has a capacity for development grade of 3.
    Is it career suicide for an NQT?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I wouldn't advise an NQT to go into a school in special measures.
    The induction year is tough. Being in a school in special measures is tough.So a double measure of stress.Experience teachers will tell you it is difficult & stressful, especially when you're constantly being observed & have to continually show extra progress. Now you might say as an NQT you're used to that anyway, so . . . .
    On the other hand does the advert mention NQTs welcome? If not they want experienced staff.

3. I wouldn't advise it- usually on the OFSTED report and subsequent reports it will say whether they can take NQTs, so i'm surprised they're offering a job out to NQTs.
    It is a hard year, and you have to think if the school has got so much work to do to improve, can they give you the support and development you need.

4. The school have approached me (via the pool system). They have two NQT positions available. I didn't realise schools in special measures could employ NQTs.

5. some can, some aren't allowed to.
    I did my induction year in a school that was expected to go into special measures. In my second term we were inspected and got a notice to improve instead. It was hard work, but really helped us to bond as a team. It was a fairly small school, so I didn't feel like I lacked any support. However if the school you're thinking of is already in special measures, you really need to decide whether you can cope with the constant pressure to improve. It isn't easy - and you will need to be resilient enough to deal with any negative feelings. I would advise visiting the school and see what you think of it. Ask questions and find out what the weaknesses actually are.
    If you do apply there, you will need to bee 100% convinced that you can stick it out and do a good job.

6. Actually, having re-read the Ofsted report, it's a notice to improve and not special measures. The latest monitoring visits were fairly positive.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL We are just fussy in our old age!

8. vou

vou

My advice is -if there are other schools and you have a chance of another position don't do it!! It's hard for an experienced teacher never mind an NQT but if the school did approach you and you feel capable...... Looking around the school is good advice.