1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you allow your child 2 days off school...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by -, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Guest

... to take part in a promotion video piece that may be used for euro 2012? He will be getting paid 500 for the two days, but the money is not the issue really. He really wants to do it, but i'm worried about setting a negative precedent and undermining the school.He's in yr 9 by the way at a highly academic school.Any views welcomed.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Hell, yes ...

3. I would, in the spirit of life experience, etc. More justifiable than hauling him out for two weeks in Spain sitting by the pool all day...

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd allow it if his attendance tended to be above school average, not if his attendance was generally poor.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have just realised the OP said 'your child'. I was answering from the headteacher's point of view!
    I haven't had any children.

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

No, not at all

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

[​IMG]

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Yes. A good life experience and money for the trust fund/uni or whatever.

9. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I would for my child as
    a) they have a good attendance record
    b) life experience which school can't provide
    c) HT often stands at the door in snowy weather positively encouraging parents to take children home to enjoy the snow ;;;

10. Definitely.

11. In a heartbeat.

12. without a doubt! Make him save most of the money though!!!

13. Why can't the fricking company doing the promo arrange for it to be done when kids are NOT AT SCHOOL? It's not as if they are currently on half term and have Easter rapidly approaching, is it? That would solve all of the problems.
    Other than that, yes, with a few of provisos:
    1) It's you and your child's responsibility to get caught p with any missed work.
    2) Check that there is nothing considered vital to the school going on at this time.
    3) Don't whinge if his attendance percentage drops and is considered as unauthorised.
    cyolba, avoiding Euro 2012 :)

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for your views everyone! One of the problems is , he has done this before - though not this academic year- last year it was to go on Britains Got Talent !(fgs) He is also 'well known ' in the area for a few 'performance's -9 don't want to give too much away ) and I'm worried his head teacher is growing tired of these little requests....His attendance at school is usually very good though and he has been working hard this year...

Agree it is sooo annoying they can never arrange these things during the holidays.Though I suppose its because he will be the only under 15 yr old there.

15. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

If parents stopped requesting / allowing their kids to skip school then they would have to arrange them during holidays or at weekends

16. I'd let him, as long as his attendance was otherwise excellent, and his report was good. No bad comments from teachers and no missed homework, etc etc etc.
    And he must catch up any work missed in his own time, including homework.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Of course, and I'd invite any teacher who thought otherwise out into the car park.

18. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Hell yes.

19. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

yep, absolutely would![​IMG]

20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

absolutely yes. What's he going to miss in 2 days? Umpteen learning objectives and targets written on the IWB, a couple of whiteout plenaries, some groovy assemblies and the chance to wear bibs in netball? All he has to do is ask his mates what gives and they can pass on the notes.