1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you all tell me how stupid I am?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by legoearth, Mar 8, 2012.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

I have just opened my daughter's mobile phone bill. £174.64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I asked her to keep checking that she had not gone over her allowances.
    I thought she would.
    I trusted her and didn't check up on her calls.
    How stupid am I????????

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Owch!
    You aren't stupid, you are just trying to walk the fine line between keeping her in order and giving her some responsibility.
    Not much consolation, but it could be much worse!
    So how is she going to pay it and how is she going to make sure her next bill is more reasonable?

3. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

Too trusting!

Does she have a part-time job so that she can pay you back? Somehow parents' money is much easier to spend than money that has been earned by a teenager's own hard work...

Put her on pay as you go and refuse to top it up once she's used it up.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Who's going to pay it?
    Are you sure all of the costs are genuine? There was a thread a little while ago that someone started as they had unusual charges on their son's mobile phone account.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I think Pay As You Go is the only way to do it with teens, bless 'em!

6. impis

impis New commenter

Tis the only way I do it for me too!!! [And I hardly use the bloomin thing!!] There's too many exceptions to the free allowances - you always get caught out on contract!
    PAYG is the only way to go, IMO.

7. When it happened to us we confiscated the phone until the money could be found to pay it back. Odd jobs, birthday money, extra chores around the house, pocket money held back, we got there in the end.
    I know in some ways you are cutting off your nose by taking the phone because you rely on it to keep in touch but she may just have to go back to the days when she had less freedom because her parents couldn't stay in touch with her. (Like we were at 14, remember?!)

8. Pay as you go is the way to go!

9. There is a contract but not sure who with that allows emergency calls to a home number. You could look into that then get the outgoing calls to any other number blocked until she's paid it back, either in money or in chores. I have always paid my own bill but my brother and sister get theirs paid by Dad - unbelievable!

10. There are also phone boxes.... just make sure she has a pound in an envelope about her person at all times, like we did in Brownies!

11. I concur.

12. Worried now I've read this.
    Son was on three. They capped his usage so it never went over the monthly fee but just joined orange and they are saying it can't be capped?

13. So many fretting Mummies not letting their children learn the hard way. No-one wants their offspring (the reflection of their parenting) saddled witha bad credit history, so you just pay up and make it all go away. And that's good because.....?

14. It's understandable, because parents love their children and worry about them and want to help them, I guess?
    Seen this at first hand with BIL, who racked up £20K of credit card/personal loan debt and ran to mummy and daddy who promptly paid it off for him. Bang went most of their retirement savings. He's still not learnt his lesson 10 years on. [​IMG]
    It's a very sore point with my husband...

15. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I can't understand how she can possibloy have gone over her allowance of calls and texts. Most mobile phone contracts these days have an unlimited texts package, which seems to be where the kids spend the most of their credit.
    What sort of phone has your daughter got? If you get her a blackberry then there's the bbm function, which allows her and her other friends with blackberrys to instant message each other for free.
    I suspect a lot of the bill will be made up from internet usage if the contract doesn't cover it. Many contracts now offer 'unlimited' internet usage included in the monthly fee, which is enough for basic use of Facebook and looking around the internet, which is how most teenages now communicate with each other; so if she's been using Facebook on her phone and it's not included in her package, that may be where it's coming from. Because it seems unlikely that she's sent so many texts that she's used up all the ones in her monthly package AND enough extra to rack up such a huge bill.

16. I suspect Eva is right about the Internet usage-my friend ended up having to pay a huge bill because she thought Internet was included in her contract and it wasn't. The charges can be very steep! My contract is 600 minutes, unlimited texts and Internet use included on Vodafone and I only pay £20 a month except when I stupidly decided to check Facebook from Tenerife last summer and was informed that I was getting charged £1 a minute for Internet use because I was abroad-I logged off pretty sharpish after that!

17. I must be really mean - my kids have PAYG and I only top up £10 per term - I reinforce that the phone is for keeping in touch and emergencies. It took a little while, but they've got it now. They chat to their friends on facebook and skype now which is free.

18. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

A few years ago I got my then 16 year old daughter a contract phone because she was using up so much PAYG credit. I kept topping up the phone so she could contact me if there was an emergency.
    My daughter ran up a bill of £250 on her phone because she thought that if she hung up before an hour was up she could ring back and talk for another hour - like the land line!
    She had £400 in the bank so paid the bill.
    The next month her bill was £150. She paid this too and I took the phone from her. Orange very kindly let me put the contract on hold for six months. My contract was due for renewal in seven months so I took her phone on at the end of the six month period.
    My 15 year old son now has a contract phone. He's very responsible but I've still got a cap on it so that it won't cost any more than the £25 a month contract fee.
    The trouble with telling kids that they have to pay off the huge bill is, where do they get the money from? Also, the bill has to be paid immediately.

19. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

This happened to me too - although not £170-ish, but it was £120.
    Eva, it actually happens very easily, if they are on a set amount of texts or internet usage.
    My daughter didn't realise, that if she sent long messages, she got actually got charged for 1 or 2 or even 3 texts, at one time.
    She had to make a contribution to the bill, and I then set the texts to unlimited, without her knowing and told her she had to stick to a limited number of texts per day.
    She was really upset about it, but not as upset as I was. My husband however was not as outraged as I thought he would be - he said it was our fault as much as hers, as we should have kept a closer check on it.