1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you advise people to go into teaching?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by welshwizard, Nov 8, 2017.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There was a good quote from Greg Davies in yesterday's Metro -in answer to this question

"Its a wonderful job if you want to be a teacher. You have to feel the calling. If you do, it's the best job in the world, but if you are hoping to do something else, it's not for you. I went into teaching wanting to be a comedian. I thought I'd teach for a year and I blinked and 13 years had gone by."

He has also commented in the past how much he had developed his communication skills through teaching and how much he enjoyed being with the kids in the classroom.

Increasingly people need to come into the profession with a clear perspective about the job and the workload.
    Teaching can be never ending unless you make it so! There is always preparation and marking to do but more importantly is the need to balance your work and personal life.
    Without that- then you burn out.

PGCE_tutor likes this.
  2. theluckycat

theluckycat New commenter

I went into teaching because I ‘felt the calling,’ i.e. wanted to make a difference. The issue is that as someone else said recently, I found teaching very much ‘suck it and see.’ You don’t really know if teaching is for you until you are doing it all, the Sunday planning, the observations, the behaviour management, the SEN. You might enjoy a bit of cover teaching, or might work as a TA for a year, but that doesn’t give the full picture.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

The phrase 'You have to feel the calling' sums it up for me. People don't enter the priesthood as a means of achieving professional status, but because they feel 'called' towards a vocation. There may be aspects of it they are uncomfortable with, but they accept them as part of the package, however unpleasant or onerous they may be.

In some respects, and for a number of reasons, I was the 'student from hell'. I hated school, and it hated me. After many years of experiential learning, I formed a different view of education and its value. I wanted to help as many young people as I could avoid making the same mistakes I made, and therefore have at least a fighting chance of having a better life.

But with the benefit of hindsight and reflection,it wasn't a calling. It was more of an overwhelming desire to feel I had managed to do something useful with my life, and made a positive contribution, through a combination of seeking absolution and achievement by proxy. Both of those, however well intentioned, may rank among the worst possible reasons for entering teaching.

I also know that many of the colleagues I worked with, only stay because they have painted themselves into a corner financially.

If the only people allowed to enter teaching are those who feel they have been 'called to it', then simple maths dictates we won't have anything like the numbers we need.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I thought teaching secondary PE would be perfect for me as I loved sport ... however it wasn't what I expected and thought it was 'teaching' generally that didn't fit. However, a few years later I realised I was more suited to teaching primary aged children and was lucky enough to be given a chance to do so.
    I always suggest people who are interested in teacher training get some experience with all age groups to make sure they find the perfect fit for them.