1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you accept this job?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by linski, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I currently work in an independent school. Because numbers on roll are falling (so money's v tight at school) I have been offered a job with 28 teaching sessions but no paid PPA.
    I know this would be illegal in the state sector and I have genuine concerns that I won't be able to do the job properly on those terms (I'll be on my knees...) But, is it better than no job in the current market?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would have a bit more confidence in yourself - If your current job does end making you redundant would there be a payout? If yes, then I would aim to apply for posts with a bit more security and better conditions than that actively until that day may come, especially as you worry about not being able to cope with the workload and pee taking contract on offer.

3. I guess I was feeling confident in being able to reject offer, but have applied for a few jobs and had no call for interview, so that makes me feel a bit dejected. Also - no redundancy. I'm completing another annual contract (independent schools can seem to do as they like!) Agree that this seems a pee-taking contract tho'! I keep wondering how the school could advertise such a post if I say 'no thanks'.

4. Does sound a bit dodgy. Is there no room for negotiation?
    Try not to lose faith with regards to interviews, something will come through that will b right for you. Just don't rush as the saying goes "the grass isn't always greener..."

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

6. Completing another annual contract?is that at the same school?
    I think statutory redundancy payments (I know not much) are available after two years' service, even with fixed contracts.
    If you have legal protection with your household insurance, make a phone call for legal employment advice.

7. Many thanks, all, for the advice. I think I'm going to have a chat with my union rep (altho' he was not terribly helpful previously) What is also really upsetting me, is that two other colleagues orginally accepted no PPA time, rather than face redundancy. Now they've thought about the reality of trying to teach in these conditions (particularly now that LSA's have been made redundant...) they've resigned and lost any chance of redundancy! Both are excellent teachers, one had worked at the school for 18 years. Is this the reality of recession? [​IMG]